Monday, April 4, 2005

MC you better look over your shoulder

Preview
   What do Hip Hop, Heavy Metal, Punk, and Dancehall Reggae have in common? Nothing... until now.

   What you are hearing is Skindred: four lads from The UK who are turning the music indutry on its ear. (As this is no longer the lead entry here, I have disabled the auto play feature for the music. Click to hear Nobody, by Skindred) Citing influences as diverse as Guns 'n' Roses, Green Day, The Clash, Bad Company, The Police, System of a Down, Elvis Costello, The Wailers, and Jimi Hendrix, these guys are tearing up the United States, touring with bands like Papa Roach, Sevendust, and Korn. 
   Nobody, the first single from their debut album, Babylon, has captured my imagination recently. Every time it comes on the satellite digital music station I listen to, I crank it up to
eleven. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm insane. And I may be. I know I've gone crazy looking through record stores unsuccessfully for the album. Today I found out it wasn't even released in Canada until March 29th. At least I should be able to find it now.
   To hear a cool (and less heavy metal) dancehall version of this song, visit the
Skindred website. They call what they do "Ragga Metal," and it just may be the next big thing. Of course, I've been listening to Big Sugar for years, who blended Dub Reggae and Classic Guitar Rock successfully. A Canadian band, no less, and it's a damn shame they're gone.
   Yes, I know. For those of you who are techno fans, the only thing in the world worth listening to is ACTIVATE! Go ahead, knock yourselves out.

   We now return control of your computer to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I'm impressed...these guys aren't bad at all...I'm more suprised that I haven't heard of them until now (must start listening to the harder radio station out here, Clevelands 92.3)...good choice, Paul! Two thumbs up!


<3 Rachel

Anonymous said...

I, too, greatly miss Big Sugar.  From their more bluesy beginnings right through to the end, I was a big fan.  Still am; just no new stuff to be expected.

I just LOVE hearing the rumble of the engine followed by the adrenaline rush of: 'BROTHERS AND SISTERS... ARE YOU READY!!!'  Whenever that one comes on, I turn it up to twelve.  So there.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

I didn't like it, the song, nobody.