Saturday, December 30, 2006

AWV - The year in review

AWV_shoppe


   The end of the year approacheth, and, as most bloggers seem wont to do, I am writing a year end wrap-up/best-of Aurora Walking Vacation post. Actually, I am finished writing it. This is it. Sorry, is that confusing?

   I didn't write one of these last year because my old computer broke down middle of December, and I didn't get a new one until well into February. Not that I left my dear readers entirely out in the cold. That would be quite beyond me,
Just so's you know.

   In February, I was caught speeding on my way home from Ottawa. I mean really speeding. Went to court, and entered
A plea.

Skeptical topics began taking up a significant amount of space here in 2006. An early effort in that direction was
Face in pant leg Santa Claus? A fellow AOL blogger had a question about a photograph she had taken, and I undertook to answer it. I learned a lesson that week, when my rational explanation for what appeared in the picture was met with outright hostility by that blogger. Often, those who ask questions are not really looking for honest answers. In many cases, they are simply looking for someone to confirm their existing preconceptions for them. As Dr. Carl Sagan once said, "You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe."

   In April the AOL journaling community was hit hard by the death of one of our founding members. Pamela Hilger was blogging on AOL before the product was even officially available in its beta testing stage. Over the almost three years she was blogging, she touched virtually every person in our fledgling community. The extreme grief I felt on her passing greatly surprised me, and speaks to the strength of the bonds that we form in this online world. In tribute to Pamela I wrote
My friend Pamela, and I found a few small words.

   Later in April, I had a surprise visitor, and a skinny one at that. He stayed with me for several days, and we had a few fun adventures. I recounted them in six entries, beginning with A Tuesday story.

   Usually the saying is, "April showers bring May flowers," but this year we seemed to have a late spring, and the showers were deferred until
The frog days of summer. This is one of my favourite entries from the past year.

   Continuing on the path of skeptical blogging, I tackled people's preconceptions about Homeopathic Medicine in
Serial delusions, and took a local television station to task in Breakfast television with little or no effect. That Carl Sagan guy sure seems to have these people pegged.

   August brought a first for Aurora Walking Vacation, with a guest blogger. Well, I called her a "guest blogger," but all I really did was cut and paste an e-mail my wife sent to her co-workers, and CC'd to me. Still, it's a funny story, and she told it well:
Apparently, it's all my fault.

   Then, in September, I foolishly picked up the topic of my wife once more, in
Look at how my children play Commando in the Cul-de-sac. This entry brought a lot of comment from outside the online world, when my father mentioned it at the dinner table one night, bringing it to my wife's attention for the first time. She said she was going to write a rebuttal for me to publish as her second guest stint, but she never did. I guess the truth is just unassailable.

   October's archive is jammed full of interesting blog entries, including several controversial skeptical topics, a fun meme called
National Carry Your Camera Everywhere You Go Week, and other various and sundry offerings. In the end, I felt that the entry I really wanted to highlight here was one that explained a bit about why this journal has taken on a bit of new direction this year: Why skepticism?

   November is grey, and cold, and it seemed to me to need something to lighten the load a bit. Nothing like life to provide fodder for that. An ill-considered action is a true story of human frailty and failings. But light, you know?

   Which brings us to December, and the end of the year. Do I have an entry to highlight this month, kind of a wrap up for a year of Aurora Walking Vacation? How about this one:
There, is that 'meta' enough for you?

Tags: , ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the past year and more Paul.  You're a real swell guy.  And it's not the four REALLY stiff rum 'n egg noggs talking right now.  Or at least... mostly not.  I recall with great fondness that frog speaker post, and thinking to myself, self, this guy's posting about wiring a frog as a speaker for the outside of his house.  This guy's all right.

Bless you and the horse you rode in on.  Rock on in 2007!

Simon

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...  I thought about doing a "Year in Review" thing, but I think I'll just direct everyone here since I swipe all your stuff anyway, and it's considerably more entertaining.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Cool wrap-up. I didn't meet you until the housecoat story, but you made my year more fun.--Cin

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Love the pic...

Love the entry...

Love your blog!!!

What a great idea... I laughed as I read and remembered and reread a few entries of yours.  Very enjoyable!  Thank you, for this entry and all... for sharing your life and mind with us.

Yes, this online phenomenon called J-land is special.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

It's...  it's...  it's...  META-LICIOUS!  


meta– or met–
pref.

  1.
        1. Later in time: metestrus.
        2. At a later stage of development: metanephros.
  2. Situated behind: metacarpus.
  3.
        1. Change; transformation: metachromatism.
        2. Alternation: metagenesis.
  4.
        1. Beyond; transcending; more comprehensive: metalinguistics.
        2. At a higher state of development: metazoan.
  5. Having undergone metamorphosis: metasomatic.
  6.
        1. Derivative or related chemical substance: metaprotein.
        2. Of or relating to one of three possible isomers of a benzene ring with two attached chemical groups, in which the carbon atoms with attached groups are separated by one unsubstituted carbon atom: meta-dibromobenzene.

[Greek, from meta, beside, after.]

See?  I fetched you a definition you meta-madman.  Now, line up those bloody shots of meta-dibromobenzene and let's put the lid on this meta-freaking meta-mess we meta-call 2006!  

Woohoo!

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

    Hey Paul,  Thanks so much for your year-end recap.  It gave me a chance to get back to some of the entries I might have inadvertently missed, like the one your wife wrote ( hope that malodorous experience hasn't been repeated since then ... ewwwww ).  Which gave me a great idea:   I am going to ask the Big Guy to write an entry for my journal, just to give my readers a chance to see who and what I have lived with for these last 31 years, on a daily basis.  It just might be an explanation for some of the things you see at my place!  Anyway, I wish you and yours all the best in 2007.  I have a feeling it's gonna be a good one.  tina

Anonymous said...

Dan,

"Main Entry:   meta
Part of Speech:   adj
Definition:   self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics, esp. as a parody; about
Example:   That book is so meta.
Etymology:   meta 'beyond' "

This is the meaning I was going for...
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Took a second for your Meta link to sink in... I plead lack of caffeine.  Very cool though.  By the way, besides the actual Brauhaus I am named after, there are several 'Dorn' establishments... one in Alexandria Va., the Dorn Grill in California (my sister almost missed her plane trying to get a shot of it for me), and now a fellow blogger tells me that a liquor mart in Florida just opened up by the name of Dorn's, and I think he said it even had a drive thru!
Happy New Year Paul, its always (yes, ALWAYS) a pleasure to read you.  Dorn

Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting review of a year of blogging.  Now I need some time to look into some of these entries.  But thought I would let you know I came and read.  I like the picture, too. I am trying to get on familiar terms with my new digital camera. Jland photos inspired me to ask Santa for one (mydaughter).  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hugs Paulo!
hey you forgot your concert entries with Matthew, Matthew's guitar concert entry,
and your poetry!Say was there a cat involved?9lifts eyebrow)... and wasn't that cat......(Dan's magical cat!)
I rest my ..uh...case!:)
natalie