Saturday, May 10, 2008

Friday (Saturday) random ten...and more

   Here are the first ten songs randomly selected by iTunes to refill my iPod yesterday afternoon.

1) Unknown Soldier - Breaking Benjamin 
2) It's a War In There - Dar Williams
3) In The City - The Eagles
4) Wild Is The Wind - Bon Jovi
5) Please Don't Ask - Genesis
6) The Least Of My Troubles - Paul Nicholas
7) Liars - Ian Thomas
8) Accidents - Alexisonfire
9) Desert Elysium - Ottmar Liebert
10) I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - Genesis

   Over the past few weeks, as I've been updating my iPod, I've noticed the occasional pairing of songs that seemed somehow...apt. It was brought to mind by the ironic juxtaposition of the first two items in this week's random ten list. It might be, like the above example, a noticeably interesting pairing of song titles, or it might be two songs that seem to go together content wise, or it might be two songs that contrast or clash stylistically - enough so to make me take notice; to say, "heh."
   Not sure what to call the phenomenon. I thought of 'peculiar pairings,' or 'curious couplets,' but if you've got another idea, let's hear it. Anyway, I may point out the occasional serendipitous occurence of this event from time to time. You know, when the things happen to strike me.

   Other peculiar pairings in this week's iPod listing:

You And I, by Queen, followed by Entre Nous, by Rush.

Caroline, by Fleetwood Mac, and Gal Yuh Good, by Shabba Ranks

Just Reality, again by Shabba Ranks, followed by Not Dreaming About You, by Edward Bear

And I got a bit of a chuckle out of the 125th and final song in this week's list: sixteen seconds of Queen's Another One Bites The Dust recorded backwards by Matthew when he was bored and playing around with Audacity a few weeks ago. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm...  Backwards?!?  

So, if you play a backwards song...  wait...  If you play a song forwards that's been recorded back...  umm...  

Screw it.

Is there some sort of Teh Debil on this song or not?  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Playing Queens Another One Bites the Dust forward is bad enough.  Sort of beaten down but imperious. That bugs me.  Could be my general mood(it is). ~Mary

Anonymous said...

"It's one o'clock and time for lunch -- bum de dum de dum dum..."

Gotta love that.

Anonymous said...

That is cool... makes you think the ipod has more of brain than you'd think!  LOL

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/