Monday, September 20, 2004

Two things.

Much ado about...

There's been a lot of talk, all over AOL j-land, about the telling of truth or falsehood in people's journals. As far as I can gather, an issue was recently made of several journals purporting to be by a young cancer patient, his girlfriend, and others. Many people, reading these journals, were naturally filled with sympathy for the plight of the allegedly ill person. It has now been posited, based on what reliable information I know not, that these several journals were the work of one very creative person in need of attention. Apparently, many readers had become emotionally involved with the saga, and felt betrayed by the news that these journals appeared to be somewhat fictionalized. More recently, another journal has come under fire by the j-land community. A young woman claiming to be a former rape victim has had her story scrutinized for, as far as I can tell, poor judgement in the pictures she chose to display in her AOL profile.

Now, I'm not here to dispute the veracity or mendacity of these journalers, but to question those who have chosen to make a big deal over it. Surely you've known someone in your lifetime who's called up the local supermarket using a disguised voice and asked them if they had pop in the fridge. Why does it come as such a surprise to you that there might be jokers pulling the same stunts on the internet? This is the ultimate voice disguiser. With the exception of each account's primary screen name, AOL handles are disposable. Make up a new one, use it for a few weeks, and delete it. You can do that as many times as you like. My wife currently uses two different screen names. So does my son. I have three. For more temporarity and anonymity, there's hotmail, yahoo mail, the list goes on and on. The internet is the world's biggest mask, and Jacks abound.

My advice to those out there who feel that they have been hurt by dishonest journalers is to celebrate a valuable lesson learned. You don't really know these people. You can't really know these people. The next time you come across what appears to be a compelling story of personal tragedy and loss, run to your kitchen. Open your table-salt shaker and remove one small grain. Place it on your monitor. Go ahead and read. Hey, I'm not saying every journaler is a liar. I'm not even saying the ones alluded to above are. What I am saying is, you have no way of really knowing, so exercise a modicum of emotional detachment. You'll thank me later.

 

Funeral for a friend.

My ten year old son lost a Buddy today. He came home from a sleepover at a friend's house to discover that Buddy, his pet hamster was sick.

It came on quite suddenly. The little tyke kept us up half the night with the squeak of his wheel as usual. Sometime during the afternoon my wife discovered that he was hunched up in an unnatural position, and breathing labouriously. Several care filled hours later, he stopped breathing. Matthew was the one that went in to check on him the last time, and found him dead. Matt is a sensitive child. He cried for a long time. Mom found a little gold box in the basement, and Dad dug a hole in the garden. Matt held Buddy for a few moments, stroking his soft fur, then put him in the box, carried it outside, and reverentially placed him in the hole. "Good-bye, Buddy," he said. "I love you." Mom and Dad held Matthew, and we all sobbed uncontrolledly for several minutes. Nobody in this family handles death very well.

This story may seem ironic, in light of the comments that preceded it, but every word is true. I swear.

coming soon: new puppy pictures  (old puppy pictures)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Buddy.  I've said prayers and last rites over many a hamster and other family pet.  It even gets to me sometimes.  What hurts the most is seeing my children hurt.  I would worry more if they didn't cry though.  Crying is good and natural.  Always remember that.  You're a cool dad I think.
Dorn

Anonymous said...

Aww, the hamster story was just too much. Gonna go give our lil sparky a treat now.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

I almost shed a tear for Little Buddy, but when I went to wipe my eye, the grain of salt was stuck to my finger and scratched my cornea...
But seriously, good entry & great journal you've got here...sorry it's taken me so long to visit (sorry for me, that is, because I've been missing some intelligent & entertaining writing!) Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your son's loss.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

If you've been paying attention to the journals board, you should know I agree with the first part of your entry. :) And when I was a kid, we called people randomly, just made up the numbers. Our fav gimmick was to pretend to be the Mexican Weather Bureau (Today chile, hot tomale). But the highlight was when we called a friend who had to stay home and one of us put on a fake voice and told her she won a contest. She was all excited the next day at school when she told us about it. I don't think we ever told her the truth.

Sorry about the hamster. Made me think of my childhood pet, a parakeet, Pretty Boy, that died too soon. We buried him in a plastic container in the backyard.

Anonymous said...

Here lies Frisky Blue
He was no pest
He broke his leg
So now he'll rest
--headstone for a parakeet, circa 1967.

Or maybe I'm confusing the parakeet with the injured wild bird from the same era.

I have no clue about the particular journals you mention, but sometimes fraudulant online identities involve something more serious than people feeling they've been hoodwinked. In Quantum Leap fandom in 1992, a mentally ill person in California was posting on another online service as herself, as her nonexistent husband, and as an entire family, even inventing newborn twins named Scott and Dean. She took to harrassing a 14-year-old fan in another state, accused the kid of slander and I-forget-what-else, and eventually threatened her on the eve of her trip to a QL con in California. The FBI eventually told us that this person had a history of stalking an actor from an earlier series, because she disapproved of the actor's choice of a bride. She later exhibited similar behavior with respect to Scott Bakula, claiming he wasn't really divorced and posting as a member of his family. She did other weird, unpleasant stuff, but you get the gist.  In light of all that, I tend not to laugh off instances of fabricated online identities, unless clearly intended to be fictional (e.g. fiction blogs, so labeled).

Karen

Anonymous said...

I can understand what you are saying, but a phone call or prank is not as hurtful as having someone try to get you to open up about a horrific event in your life under the pretext of helping....when in fact, she was lying. That's what everyone got upset about.  I really don't care if someone wants to pretend to be the Queen of England that's fine, just don't hurt people.  Anyway, sorry about your hamster I hate losing pets...we used to have funerals in our backyard too...even though they received excellent care - it's the nature of life...everything passes..Sandi

Anonymous said...

OHHHH, when my son was little he had a hampster who died also. Those little creatures just don't live long. It was so trumatic for us also. My sympathy goes out to your son. P.S. As my husband has always said,"You can be anyone you want to on the internet." http://journals.aol.com/carolhehe/GypsyPaths

Anonymous said...

I have just found your jnl by way of a comment you made in another jnl....I have found a gold mine! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Caveat Emptor---and my old man used to
say of many things,"If it sounds too good
to be true, it probably is."  chekyalata

Anonymous said...


Hi Paul,

Great writing and a nice color scheme, I like your journal very much. Thanks for your comment at mine too, you're always welcome there.

I'm with you on the 'grain of salt thing'.

Sorry to read about 'Buddy', your son's distress and the whole family's as well. Too bad hamsters have such a short life span. I'm also fond of them and they're as easy as any other type of animal to get attached to.

Hang in there and come and visit me again, anytime.

~Brian (Abettor Arcane)

http://journals.aol.com/abettorarcane/smackdown/

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that you have comment alerts since I am commenting on something written awhile ago. It took some time and effort since AOL's system of discovery isn't user friendly, but I was able to find so far this one piece in regard to the illusions of internet world. You too write very well and there's nothing I enjoy more then someone who can intrigue the mind with writing. On yet another level that people immerse themselves in this world <journals> you touched on the subject in hopefully an eye opening way. I wasn't around during what looks like another type drama in J-land, but I can certainly read and understand the effects it had on some individuals. Hopefully some of the people understood your entry and took heart. I love what you said about "the ultimate voice disguiser." A perfect metaphor! I too have 3 screen names, this one actually made up just for my journal time. I have all IM's blocked at all times, because I don't want to interact with anyone in real time, simply through my journal, comments and I guess sometimes now emails. Anyway, thank you for visiting my journal. I'm sure I'll see you around in the writing world. Plus, thank you so much for your advice on avoiding losing journal entries, I love using the text box!
Rebecca
http://journals.aol.com/justaname4me2/InTheShadowOfTheIris/

Anonymous said...

You have beautifully depicted J'Land Paul...
This is a new jungle with its own surprises. obviously some people have noticed that unless they are sick, they would not get any attention. A real pity.
Valerie