Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"Grab and go," he said.

   Jaquandor, as is his wont, declined to tag someone. The questions kinda grabbed me, though, so here I go.

1: Black and White or Color; how do you prefer your movies?

   I have to assume that the original author of the query was referring specifically to the colorized versions of old black and white films, because I can't imagine why anyone would want to convert a newer film to B&W. I'd have to say that I prefer the original black and white versions. When film makers had only light and shadow to work with, they had to work harder to get across the full gamut of desired expression, and colorizing takes away from the ability to appreciate the talent involved in lighting and cinematography on those old masterpieces.

2: What is the one single subject that bores you to near-death?

   The debate over colorizing black and white films. Oh, and country music.

3: MP3s, CDs, Tapes or Records: what is your favorite medium for prerecorded music?

   I would exclude only mp3s, as I do not listen to music on my computer. Other than that, the music is the important thing, and the medium the artist chooses as the way they think is best to showcase their art is the one I will listen to.

4: You are handed one first class trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world and ten million dollars cash. All of this is yours provided that you leave and not tell anyone where you are going ... Ever. This includes family, friends, everyone. Would you take the money and ticket and run?

  No.

5: Seriously, what do you consider the world's most pressing issue now?

  Overpopulation.

6: How would you rectify the world's most pressing issue?

   Bring on The Rapture. What do you mean, 'come on?' You didn't say 'seriously' on this question. What do you mean, 'it was implied?' OK, so, education, I think, is the key.

7: You are given the chance to go back and change one thing in your life; what would that be?

   I wouldn't have fallen off my chair in front that cute girl who liked me at the school dance in grade 10. I'm joking. See my next answer.

8: You are given the chance to go back and change one event in world history, what would that be?

   Are you kidding me? Have you never watched an episode of Star Trek? If you change sonething in the past, there's no telling what the ramifications could be in the present. We could all end up as slaves of the Klingon Empire, or worse, seventies fashion could have caught on and lasted. Don't mess with time travel, man!

9: A night at the opera, or a night at the Grand Ole' Opry --Which do you choose?

   The opera, no question. It's not that I prefer the one type of music over the other. It's just that I'm much less likely to be sitting next to a guy with shit on his boots at the opera.

10: What is the one great unsolved crime of all time you'd like to solve?

   Who shot JR? Oh, wait, did they solve that one? OK, I guess I'd have to say Donald Trump's hair. Listen, some people's wonders of the world are other people's crimes against nature.

11: One famous author can come to dinner with you. Who would that be, and what would you serve for the meal?

   You know, I honestly can't think of anything to say here. I'm not one to get star struck by famous people. They are just people, after all. Writers possibly more so than other 'famous' people. Guy Kay is a great person. Let's go with him, and say that what I serve for dinner is probably less important than what scotch I serve after dinner.

12: You discover that John Lennon was right, that there is no hell below us, and above us there is only sky -- what's the first immoral thing you might do to celebrate this fact?

   You know, I don't mean to be rude, or anything, but that is one of the stupidest questions I've ever heard asked. It is just plain silly to think that someone who has been raised to behave morally, or converted to moral behaviour based on some religious ideal would suddenly do an about face just because they learned the truth.
   Morals are not some absolute concept dictated by an imaginary sky daddy. They are a consensus of what the community to which we belong deems acceptable behaviour. Human beings are pack animals. We have always lived in groups. The worst thing that could happen to early man was to be ostrasized; to be kicked out of his tribe. It invariably meant death. Moral behaviour became whatever would be acceptable to the rest of the tribe, and immoral behaviour,whatever would get you 'cast out'. Religions are no more than extended tribes to which people can feel good about belonging.
   We have names for people who knowingly and willingly commit immoral behaviours just because they think they need fear no retribution. We don't call them atheists, we call them sociopaths.

Oh, yeah. I have to tag somebody. How about The Simian, The Corpse, and The Secretary. You're it. And, you know, if you wanna go ahead and do it anyway, be my guest. That's what I did.

tags:,,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
:) Your replies are,,well,unique!
thank you! hugs, natalie
p.s. my I presuem that your philosphical discussions are coming back!
nat

Anonymous said...

presume

Anonymous said...

Hey, Paul ... I am with you on the country music.  I have always loved music of every type .... but that one.  Don't know why.  Don't care why.  Just don't like it. Tina

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the music-never did like country; love you answer to number
12, I mean, really! ~Diane~ http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea                                                                                                    

Anonymous said...

Excellent questions and answers... I may do this...

Oh and I believe in God, but not in hell and I agree 10,000 % about what you said in response to question 12!  Perfectly...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

After reading your #12, I've decided to conduct my own study of people I know, specifically the one's who are certain my hair is already on fire with the destiny of Hell, and ask them this type question, sans the Lennon part, and see what they say. If one of them takes a toe off the bible beaten path I know I'll have a damn good time.