Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Yes, I lied. I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."

   I have a question. When attributing a quotation from a movie, do you give the nod to the movie character who spoke the line, the actor portraying that character, or the writer from whom the line of dialogue originated? Who said, "I find your lack of faith disturbing?" Was it Darth Vader, or James Earl Jones; or was it really George Lucas?
   In the example that leads off this entry, a line from the movie A Knight's Tale, the situation is complicated by the fact that the actor speaking the line, Paul Bettany, is portraying a historical figure. There was a real Geoffrey Chaucer, who was indeed a writer. While he may have agreed somewhat with the sentiment, I have no idea if he ever expressed it in that (or any other) way.
   Further clouding the issue, Bettany and the film's writer/director, Brian Helgeland, are good friends and frequent collaborators. Given the somewhat evolutionary process filmmaking often is, it can be difficult to determine who a specific line of dialogue really came from.
   Consider another example from the Star Wars universe. In the second (I mean fifth (I think)) film, The Empire Strikes Back, a memorable exchange takes place between the characters of Princess Leia, and Han Solo. As the bad guys are about to put Solo into the carbonite freezing machine, Leia looks at him and says, "I love you." Solo looks back at her, a tender expression on his face, and replies, "I know." And thus a timeless classic film line was born.
   We know, from subsequent discussions of the film that the scene was in the original screenplay, as written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan. We also know that the director, Irvin Kirshner, didn't like the way the scene played, and decided to change Solo's response at the last minute. They tried numerous lines, but couldn't find anything to make Kirshner happy. Finally, in frustration, he filmed one last take, without giving Harrison Ford a line to speak. Kirshner just told him to "say something." The result is perhaps the most honestly Han Soloish bit of dialogue in the entire original trilogy.
   Which brings me back to the problem of attribution. I could attribute the lines to the actors who spoke them, but that would seem to me to be more correct for Ford than for Carrie Fisher (who played Leia). I could attribute Leia's line to the screenwiters, and Solo's to Ford, but that's just plain complicated and confusing. Attributing them to the characters involved gets me in trouble with my lead-in quote; there being a real Chaucer who probably never said anything even remotely close to what Bettany said on screen in A Knight's Tale.
   The safest solution seems to be to simply name the source of the quote; that is, the work it came from. For example: "Whoa!"--The Matrix...I mean Speed...or Point Break...um, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Hmm....
   If you have an opinion on this, or perhaps some insight into current conventions on the topic, I'd love to hear from you.


   Oh, by the way, "I'm back."
                                   --Sam Gamgee...I mean, The Lord Of The Rings...um, I mean Sean Astin...uh...J.R.R. Tolkien...hell, I have no idea what I mean.

tags:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Welcome back."
~Simon Fraser (attributed)

In regards to your conundrum, I'd say cite the character name AND the movie, thus removing any real ambiguity.  As concerns your first example, you could even attribute "I find your lack of faith disturbing" to David Prowse, who portrayed the physical Darth Vader and undoubtedly spoke that line on set (and was the first to do so) but had it edited out in favour of Jones' lines.

Hope you're enjoying your new Dell.  Man, do you ever have some posting to catch up on...

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

"Welcome back" ~Simon Fraser (attributed)...
But wait, Simon Fraser wasn't the person who originated the phrase "Welcome back", so who would we really credit for it?
Ah, who cares... you're back.  Thats great.  I for one kind of missed you.   (and you can quote me on that although I doubt I originated that line either).  Dorn

Anonymous said...

Well, it IS about damn time!!!!!

And, my thoughts on the subject are.... YOU my friend, are thinking to hard.

I would attribute the "I love you - I know" thing thusly, 'as said by Princess Leia to Han Solo, in Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back.  Period.

Thank you... for returning YAY!  

Ps... what up with CarnivAOL, my homey???

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, LOVE Knight's Tale! For some reason that movie just strikes a cord with me. I think I've seen it a dozen times. (Oh, we own it, I never saw it in the theatre). And, most importantly... WELCOME BACK!! Notice I'm just ignoring the stuff where you want me to think ;p
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

My standard attribution format for movie and tv lines is as follows:

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnatti

or possibly

--Arthur Carlson (Gordon Jump), WKRP in Cincinnati

I seldom mention that Hugh Wilson wrote the line, unless I'm trying to make a specific point.

"You can learn from books."  Ringo, A Hard Day's Night

If I wanted to get technical, I could say,

--Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey), A Hard Day's Night.  

But why bother?

Karen

Anonymous said...

Dearest Paul,
You're Back!!!!!! yeay!:)
..ummm... to the writer
is my guess!
natalie

Anonymous said...

Hello......I'm a new visitor to your journal which is quite interesting. I have to say that " A Knight's Tale" is my favorite movie of all time. I love this movie and I have to say that I'm glad you shared this entry in your journal. I also keep a journal titled "Dear Diary". Feel free to drop by sometime -------------> http://journals.aol.com/southernmush/DearDiary/
My name is Monae. I just thought I would come by and introduce myself. It was nice reading your journal and I will be back soon............Take care and thanks for sharing your journal with us here at J-Land.

Anonymous said...

Hello again............Since I liked your journal I posted your journal in my latest entry in my journal I hope you don't mind. I also wanted to say thanks for sharing your journal once more.................

Take care

Anonymous said...

If, I were quoting a work of viction, say, To Kill A Mockingbird, and I wanted to quote the character Atticus Finch, I would say..."Blah, blah blah, " Atticus Finch, from the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I would do the same thing with a movie, i.e. "Blah, Blah, Blah, " Darth Vader, from the film, Star Wars, episode ?...however, if I were to publish these quotes, I would give credit to everyone and his big brother....JMHO