Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Viewing older entries

   AOL journals aren't set up as well as something like blogger. One of the things I find clumsy is the interface to view older entries, or what blogger calls archives. On blogger, and livejournal as well, I think, you simply click on a list of dates to view entries posted during those periods. On AOL journals, you have to click on the Older Entries link at the top of the page. You will be taken to a page that lists all of the entries made during the current month. In order to view even older entries, you must select another month from the drop down menu at the top right of that page. If you're not sure how long the journal has been operating, you could muddle around a bit trying to find the earliest entries. I only mention it because it didn't seem very intuitive to me. It took me a while to figure out exactly how it worked.

   August 6, 2005. Edited to add: Due to a software glitch in AOL's journals template, archived entries may not begin until after the bottom of the right sidebar. If you click through to an archived entry and you don't see anything, try scrolling down the page a bit. Or, if I was prolific that month, a lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first started journaling on AOL, I couldn't figure out how to even look at the older entries.....I've had a few people ask me how to do that as well......I mean, it's not difficult once you know how to do it....but getting there can be a bit confusing!
~jerseygirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing you do in your sidebar just because I do find it clumsy... and cuz I saw it first on blogspot.com.  
Nobody ever, ever clicks older entries, however.  quelle domage... some of my best bits.

no whining hint intended.
~~mumsy

Anonymous said...

oops. I misspoke.  I list my archives by month in my sidebar.... and you can, too!  You've only just begun in June... should be easy.
mumsy again, bein' mumsy,  erring.