Friday, March 25, 2005

A veritable "plethora" of items

Preview   Matthew turned eleven years old last weekend. My wife baked him a cake. It was one of those Duncan Hines extra moist recipes. You know, the ones with "one cup of pudding" in each cake? Double decker, fudge marble swirl with chocolate fudge frosting, it was. Really, really moist, it was. I guess it was soft, too, or the frosting was thick, or something.
   Have you ever made a small mistake, and tried to fix it, only to make it worse? But still, you figure it is salvageable, so you try to patch it up again, only to mess it up even worse? And then you get determined to fix it up if it is the last thing you do? Have you ever been watching someone while they go through that process? Kinda like a train wreck, isn't it? You can see the inevitable chaos and destruction coming, but you can't do anything about it, and you can't look away. Of course, if you take a picture of it, you're just a sick bastard.
   We called it a California Earthquake, and served it anyway. Tasted great.

   If you've read my (almost) 100 things about me, which by the way was updated a couple of days ago, you'll remember that I commented on the love-hate relationship between my dog and my cat. With spring in the air, the cat has been gathering her courage and making sorties to the main floor in search of windows to look out at the birds from. Inevitably, she overextends herself, and ends up getting pinned down by the dog, and forced to fight her way back to base.
   Think I'm joking?

Preview

Preview

Preview

Preview

   Shadow just wants to play, but as you can see from the above series of pictures, she's having none of that. She's given him several solid bats on the snout, but she has no claws on her forepaws, and he doesn't even flinch anymore. Luckily, she wins the staring contests, and when he blinks, she runs for the safety of the basement.

Preview   Oh, and speaking of Shadow...
He's not so much the puppy anymore, is he? And he's big! The average weight of an adult, male Border Collie is forty-five pounds. Shadow is over sixty-five, and he's only nine months old. We can hardly afford to feed him, he eats more than Matthew.
   And more variety. I could only dream of Matthew eating broccoli, carrots, lettuce, and cabbage. This dog lives for vegetables. His favourite treat in the whole wide world is cherry tomatoes. I'm trying to get a picture of him beside Matthew to compare with the first pictures I ever showed you. If I can get them both to stand still long enough, I'll post it up here soon.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the looks of it, I don't think its the dog you can't afford to feed, its the CAT!  Chubby little sucker, beautiful nonetheless!  Sheila

Anonymous said...

Still laughing at the cake - aqnd Shadow looks like a great, laid-back doggie dude! - Karen

Anonymous said...

The cake looks messy, but gooooood!  LOL That cat means business! Shadow is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Some of the best things in life are the messiest.  It actually looks pretty tasty.  Love the cat vs. dog story.  Shadow's cute, but I'm rooting for the cat.

Anonymous said...

WOW   !  A real Californis Earthquake cake.    I'v been looking for that  recipe.    Your cat is awesome.  Happy Easter to you and yours.              Dawn

Anonymous said...

I'd be pretty embarrassed if that was my birthday cake lmao- thank god its not but if it tasted who cares cuz it was gonna mash all up in your mouth anyhow.
Your cat is so beautiful and chunky, My russian blue is a lot bigger than her though and very defenseless from my other cat who Does have claws.-Cherry

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cat! And she's not chunky... she's healthy!! Just ask D.K. (My cat) cause that is her story and she is sticking to it! And Shadow is really growing up to be a handsome boy....
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm  ....cake.  My very best favorite thing !!  Tina

Anonymous said...

I used to bake earthquake cakes too!  One I put toothpicks in it to try to hold it together just to put a few candles in.....but no San Andreas fault here we come. Sandi

Anonymous said...

Hey...I see the look in the dogs eye..Just waiting, lol...And..the best tasting cakes are always the the ones you feel you messed up on..It's all about the taste..RIGHT?? Thanks for stopping by my journal...we call our Matthew Alexander "Alex"
Happy Easter!!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks yummy
I want a dog but my mother won't allow it in the house : ( lol
besides i would take care of it the first week then i'd get bored just like my birds
but it's ok cuz now i want a car, and ima get that for my b-day so im good

Anonymous said...

Of the Cake--don't you just want to fall into it
face=first without a fork? Rhetorical^
Of the Calico--that is one Big=Ass cat to take
on a growing puppy! Keep them separated.
Happy Holiday~slac

Anonymous said...

that cake may look like a trainwreck, but a mighty tasty one!  cute pet photos...we just got a 45lb puppy who should be topping out at about 70lbs, plus we already have a 75lb dog too...that will be a whole lotta dog food, but I always buy in bulk 40lbs at a time!  :-)

~JerseyGirl
www.jerseygirljournal.com
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

Anonymous said...

If chocolate were an aphrodesiac ... that cake would turn you into Johnny StudMuffin!

Anonymous said...

By any chance did you guys give some of that cake to the cat?

Anonymous said...

Oh geez,,,,I know, I am very behind! First of all, thats one big cat you have there! Second of all, the cake looks delicious, wrecked or not, I would loooooove to have a piece of that in front of me right now, well, the whole thing, come to think of it! LOL...The best way to avoid that happening is to melt enough icing to cover the cake while its warm. Once the cake has cooled off, you can ice it as usual and it shouldnt tear up like that. :)
In your "100 Things about Me list" , ass that you are the most loved Gent on the aol journals message boards. :)
Kim.

Anonymous said...

WOW The cake or wahtever it is lol.. LOOKS nasty!  Oh well, you said it was good so i take your word for it... Your cat and dog are so cute... Maybe one day they will get a long... Well here is my journal site HELP ME PICK MY WEDDING DRESS...