Wednesday, July 19, 2006

"My" Space

   I have, so far, resisted creating a My Space account. Until today.

   Here's what happened. I was visiting a My Space page, and wanted to find out more about the person. Of course virtually any link on a My Space page you click on takes you to a screen telling you that you must be a My Space member in order to view that information, and inviting you to log in, or register.
   Up till now, I have always clicked away at that point, because who really cares what Bobbys2hrthunnybear is doing these days anyway. Today, though, I was really interested in the person's page I was at, and decided to take the plunge and register for my very own My Space account. I filled in the form and submitted it. And got back a message that the e-mail address I entered was already in use by a My Space account.
   "That's odd," I thought. I was pretty darn sure I had not previously created a My Space page. Still, one never knows what things might have transpired late at night with a couple of nightcaps under one's belt. I tried logging into the My Space account using my e-mail address, and my common password (I try to have all of my online accounts under one password for ease of use). No dice. I tried a couple of older passwords that I no longer use. Nope. Finally, I clicked on the "duh, I forgot my password" link, and received a message telling me my password had been dispatched to me via e-mail.
   Sure enough, in short order I received an e-mail from My Space containing a combination of letters and numbers that bore no resemblance to any password I have ever used, or would ever consider using. Curious, I typed that password into the box, and logged in to "my" My Space account.
   I put the word my in quotations because the account was not, of course, mine. Someone, named Paul Little, in Houston, Texas, had created a My Space account for themselves, using my e-mail address. I can only assume that they mistyped their own (very similar to my) address by accident.
   What did I do? I changed the password, and edited the profile information to reflect me, rather than him. I hear your gasp of incredulous consternation. How could I have done such a thing? Easy. The account was under my e-mail address. Therefore, it was my account. I simply corrected the erroneous information.
  What else would I do?

tags:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again you have too much time on your hands. Perhaps you could get a JOB like a decent hard working man should and quit mooching off your poor wife and the goverment.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha....  I love it.  That's just hillarious.  I wonder what the other Paul is going to do when he sees that.  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

I guess you're the 1st person to ever steal back your identity from an identity thief.

Anonymous said...

Hah!  Identity theft in reverse.  Surely the other Paul Little had already realized he didn't have an account set up under his own email address and had already corrected that.  Wonder if you could find him on My Space?
Lori

Anonymous said...

I would have done the same thing

betty

Anonymous said...

Whoa that's pretty wild. I never thought of someone else using your email address for something like that. for one thing - why would they even want to? And think of what they could do with it having people think they are you - esp on myspace. kinda scary i say.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this other person is your evil twin. No wait! That would make him the good twin! Fate!!!
LoL
Brenda
http://journals.aol.com/xomywayox/BrendasWay/

So you going to share your MySpace so we can stalk you there

Anonymous said...

I can't blame you... you are plittle@ aol.com... that is that.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

very interesting!
natalie

Anonymous said...

You're so much more the gentleman than I am. I say "Nuke the buzzards!" Thanks for the chuckle.

wil

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good way to get a 15 year old girlfriend..."OMG, it's like HUGE!"