Saturday, July 29, 2006

I want to ride my bicycle

  I was on my way into my local Canadian Tire store this morning, and I  saw a woman who looked familiar. After a moment I recognised her. It was a girl I went to high school with, walking out with her three sons in tow.
  "Hi," she said. "Do you know anything about bikes?" I allowed that I do know some little bit about bikes, and inquired as to what she wanted to know.
   It seems she had just purchased a shiny new bike for her eldest son. He was proudly perched on it as we spoke: sparkly blue paint job, gleaming chrome trim, black stunt pegs protruding from the rear axles. She explained that she had bought him a different bike the previous day, but upon getting it home, it was nixed by Dad. Today she had returned the first bike, and this was the second choice. Her question was, did I think this bike was likely to meet with Dad's approval.
   I smiled a little bit, and bit my tongue. Inside I was telling her that she wasn't really asking me if I knew anything about bikes, she was asking me if I knew anything about her husband. I have never met the man. All I said was, "I don't think I can be of any help with that."
   As we parted company, I couldn't resist. I said, "if Dad doesn't like this one, maybe he should come with his son to pick out the next one." The response I got from both my friend and her son led me to believe that that would not be happening any time soon.
   It is to weep.

tags:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, tis to weep for sure mate.  I know you're still glad you responded as you did, regardless of the "response" I mean, if one isn't honest with others what does one call oneself?  Anyhoo, hope you found the perfect tire for your needs.  A tree swing mayhaps?  Cathy   http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

Nope, wasn't buying tires. Windshield wiper blades, motor oil, and screwdriver bits were on the list that day.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is just sad.
Lori

Anonymous said...

that is sad but got to admire the mom for doing her best helping her son get a bike

betty

Anonymous said...

You did all you could under the circumstances.  But I am sure it is a little painful to imagine what your old classmate might live with and deal with from day to day.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

     Sounds as though Dad has only enough energy to criticize.   The sad thing is that Dad is the big loser here ... he just doesn't know it yet.  Tina

Anonymous said...

very intuitive entry Paul! nice
natalie

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until the day all that repressed anger toward hubby comes bursting out, and the lady in question realizes how much easier life will be without him.  Won't he be surprised.

Anonymous said...

Sad....

Why wouldn't a dad want to be there??? So sad...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

You are such a thoughtful person.  So many people wouldn't even dwell on that encounter.  I like who you are Paul.

Thanks for the comment at the blog :)  It touched me, made me feel good that you understood what i might be feeling.  :)  It's nice to be back, for however long I can mange it.  I'll be by frequently ;)

Dawn :)
http://dawnallynn.blogspot.com/