Monday, April 2, 2007

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #158: What's your favorite time of day and why? It doesn't have to be a specific hour and minute, mind you: "early morning" or "after midnight" or "sunset" works just fine, too. Although if you do have a very specific time, by all means note it.

Extra Credit: What's the longest you've ever stayed awake?

   My favourite time of day? I'd have to say dusk. There's a short period of time, just after the sun goes down, but before it really gets dark, when it seems like every colour in the world is just a little bit richer, and more vibrant. It's almost impossible to capture photographically. You just have to go out and experience it yourself.
   If we were going to choose an actual time with a mathematical theme, the way John has done, I'd say 11:23:58. AM or PM, it doesn't matter. Who can tell me what the significance of those numbers is? (Simon, you're not eligible).

Extra credit: I have no idea. I'm sure I pulled an allnighter or two back in school, but I don't remember any specific examples.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the Fibonacci sequence?  

Anonymous said...

Huh... well, it isn't your birthday... you are younger than me.   It isn't Doug Adams or Guy Gavriel Kay's bday.   It is the debut date of the tv show 'Have gun will travel', hmmm... is that it Paul?   After all... you do write cowboy poetry??

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I have forgotten the technical name, but it is a number sequence significant because each number is the sum of the two numbers preceding it in the sequence.

Anonymous said...

  That's it. Karen named it, and Wil described it. Why is it significant to me?
-Paul

Anonymous said...

After I commented and read the other comments, I knew that it was the Fibonacci sequence... but I have no idea why it is specifically significant to you!

Welcome to the latest edition of CarnivAOL !!!  

be well,
Dawn


Anonymous said...

C'mon... tell us....

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

The answer can be found here: http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/journal4/
-Paul