Tuesday, September 25, 2007

100 movies: part the second

   Here are numbers eleven through twenty in my list of 100 movies I really like. Remember these are not ranked in any way. In fact the order they appear has been determined by a random number generator. Here are the first ten, if you missed them.

Aladdin - In the resurgence of Disney animation that probably began with The Great Mouse Detective in 1986, hit its stride in 1989 with The Little Mermaid, and broke into a full out charge on our hearts and minds with The Lion King in 1994, an important step was made in 1992, with the release of Aladdin. The addition of Robin Williams to the cast meant the addition of hundreds of little jokes and references that no child could possibly understand. Not since their golden age that peaked in the late fifties/early sixties had a Disney movie appealed as much to the parents as it did to the children. The success of Aladdin led directly to films such as Toy Story, and The Incredibles.

Rain Man - Tom Cruise has been much maligned recently, with good reason, I might add. However, we can't ignore his body of work. Just looking at the list leaves one amazed at the success he has had. Obviously he's doing something right. I mean, Risky Business, Top Gun, The Color of Money, Cocktail, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Days of Thunder, A Few Good Men... A Few Good Men. Damn, there's one that should be on this list and isn't. How did I forget that one? "You can't handle the truth!" What a great movie. Damn!
   Anyway, Rain Man was more about Dustin Hoffman than Tom Cruise, and it was a great, great film. Totally deserving. (Did you catch what I did there?)

Victor/Victoria - Julie Andrews. Need I say more? OK, James Garner. Oh, yeah, Gay Paree (and I do mean gay). Andrews sings. Robert Prethton prantheth. It'th fabulouth.

The Fifth Element - This is an odd looking film, and it takes multiple viewings to really understand what's going on, but it's worth it. Bruce Willis reprises his usual role of the ordinary guy caught up in an extraordinary situation. Call it John McLane in space. Also, Milla Jovovich!

Frailty - You probably haven't seenthis film. You probably wouldn't like this film. This is probably the most disturbing movie I have ever watched. It certainly isn't my idea of a fun Saturday night movie rental. If I hadn't won this DVD in an online contest, I would never have watched it. It just isn't my thing.
   Still, I'm glad I did. This is a very well made film directed by Bill Paxton, and starring Paxton, and Matthew McConaughey, and disturbing as it is, almost right from the start, I was completely unable to look away.

The Maltese Falcon - I've never thought this film deserved its reputation. It's not really all that good. By today's story telling standards it's rushed. Every line sounds to me like it was delivered too fast. But what do I know? Several sources list this as being one of the 100 best movies ever made (which, if you recall, is not what this list is about at all). It's here because I like how it defined a genre for the rest of time.

Star Wars - Has to be on any list made by someone even close to me in age. I first saw this when I was twelve years old, and it rocked my world. Looking at it with fresh eyes in light of the disaster that was the prequel trilogy, I can see its many failings. Nevertheless, I can (and do) watch it over and over again.

Castaway - More than anything else, the sound design of this movie drew me in. Yes, Hanks' performance was excellent. Yes, the direction was top notch, but the sound in this movie is intriguing. I like to go back and watch it again, just to hear new things.

The Bourne Identity -  When this first came out, I worried how they would translate one of my favourite books onto the big screen. I needn't have been concerned. The basic premise of the book lends itself to a wide range of successful treatments, and the fact that the movie didn't really follow the plot of the book ended up not bothering me at all. And the momentum! I think this film defines the term.

The Legend of Bagger Vance - This is an oddity on my list. No big explosions. No one beating up bad guys. No multi-million dollar special effects budget. Just three great actors, a great story, and a director who has proven over the years that he really knows how to tell one. Two words I commonly use to describe this film: finely crafted.

<< previous ten                    next ten >>

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... you are right on with your movie pics again.  And, you must be trying to give me a heart attack or something...  What!  Three entries in 3 days???  'This is the big one Elizabeth'  LOL

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Frailty was just on TV a while back.  So, I have seen parts of it.  

Anyway, the Legend of Bagger Vance?  Awesome movie.  It's worth watching for the cinematography alone.  It's a beautifully shot film.  And, Charlize Theron?  Yowza!

-Dan
http://thewisdomofadistractedmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Victor/Victoria, Frailty, or Bagger Vance.  The others, though, I liked 'em all.  Glad to see The Fifth Element listed.  I could watch that one over and over again and not get bored.  Chris Tucker's never been as entertaining since.  And I've LOVED Gary Oldman ever since Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.  Star Wars... of course.

Simon
http://simianfarmer

Anonymous said...

Dan, Frailty is one of those movies that if you haven't seen *all* of it, you just haven't seen any of it!

-Alec

Anonymous said...

I will have to rent Frailty... It is the only one I haven't seen.  You have peaked my interest!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

That's pretty much the impression I got, Alec.  Like Dawn, I'll have to rent it.  

-Dan
http://thewisdomofadistractedmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I noticed that "This Is Spinal Tap" is in your first 10. I just wrote about that movie the other day!

Beth

http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

I love Rain Man.  One of my all time favorites!  I Don't like Star Wars.  I like Star Trek series movies.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

All great choices, Paul... except I haven't seen Frailty, as you suspected. But now I'm inclined to rent it just to be one of the few who have seen it. Thanks for the list... your first ten were great picks as well. I'll email a response about the question you asked in the previous entry. bea

Anonymous said...

Frailty is a fabulous pick. Creepy, creepy film.

The sound mix in Fifth Element is fabulous. A lot of people use the Superbit DVD version of this film as a reference disc.

The Maltese Falcon is one of my favourites. If you get a chance you should see the other two versions. The original was made ten years before the Bogie version, has the same dialogue, and is terrible. Although the Bogie version isn't perfect, it's a great example of a remake that works because of some terrific casting.

Anonymous said...

Rain Man was truly one of the all time greats in my opinion.  Both poingant and educational.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink