Monday, September 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: a review



   Went and saw the latest Harry Potter movie with the family last night. Probably caught it on the last chance weekend before it leaves the theaters for good. Not to worry. It'll be out soon enough on video, and we'll add it to the rest of the Harry Potter DVDs on our shelf.

   My review? I really liked this movie. I had goosebumps from the opening scene, and alternated between sadness and delight throughout. The film really got across to me the weight Harry is carrying by now, and how it causes him to pull back from those who care about him.
   The darkening of the films continues with Order of the Phoenix, and director David Yates had a lot of fun using fascist imagery in his 1984esque depiction of the Ministry of Magic. I wasn't as enamoured of the ending of the film as I was by what had led up to it, but part of that had to do with the necessary pruning required to reduce the behemoth of a book it was down to a useful movie length. I was able to accept it, anyway.
   It was a shame we waited so long to see it, as it was the kind of a movie that calls for applause at the end. That, however, would have seemed silly in a theater containing all of thirteen people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said... everything, you are 'spot on'.  However, I saw it the first 10am showing the day it opened, so we were a screaming and cheering and clapping packed house!  LOL  

This book was my fave up until the last... I really view books 6 & 7 as one big long story, don't you?  

AND, where are the interview questions?  I mean really Paul... 3 weeks?  C'mon... Just sit down and type the first answer that pops into your head!!! LOL

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

  It's on its way. Dawn. I've finished answering three of the five questions. Still working on the last two.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

My wife went out to see this one shortly after it was released, but I'm still waiting.  Like you, we'll end up owning all the DVDs, and I'm fine with waiting for those before I see each flick.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Why is it that promo photos for everything, these days, has to look like it's an album cover for a rap act or a heavy-metal band?  It seems that pleasant looks and natural poses are "out", and everyone glaring dourly at the camera... is "in".