Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Hot sweet pasta

Several weeks ago I wrote about making tomato sauce the old fashioned way with my in-laws. I thought I'd tell you about one of my favourite things to do with that sauce. Cooking! It's cooking, OK? Get your mind out of the gutter.

Hot sweet pasta

First, you need one or two small hot red peppers, and one or two cloves of garlic. We have hot peppers and garlic fresh from our garden. Fresh ingredients make any dish they are in just that much better. Put the peppers and garlic into a blender with several cups of water, and blend until there are no large pieces left. Strain the water into a pot. This will be the water used to cook the pasta. Usually, one blender full of water is not enough to fill the pot, so I add more water to the blender, put the pulp from the strainer back in, blend, and strain that water into the pot as well. Discard the seeds and skins left behind.

At this point I would like to add a note of caution. You are now working with water that is, basically, essence of hot pepper. Do not touch your face, or any other part of your body for that matter. An itch in an embarrasing place now can rapidly turn into serious discomfort. Another caution: we are going to boil this water, which will inject essence of hot pepper into the air via steam coming off the pot. I sometimes experience a slight respiratory distress during preparation of this recipe. If you are already sensitive to breathing problems you should be careful. I like to open a window, and run the fan on my range hood while I cook this dish.

OK, ass covering now out of the way, let's get back to the cooking. Take a jar of your fresh tomato sauce and pour it into a sauce pan. If you don't have any fresh tomato sauce like I described in that earlier entry, I'd recommend going out and making friends with some old world Italians right away. You can't buy anything like this in any store I've ever found. No spices, no additives, no preservatives, this is just pure tomato sauce. Cook on low for several hours. Sorry, did I just screw you up? I should have mentioned right off the bat that you must start early. The cooking time of the sauce will depend on how watery the tomatos were. This year's batch will probably need longer cooking times that previous years, at least in my neck of the woods. The sauce is done when it reaches the consistancy you like your pasta sauce to have. Too thin, and it won't stick to the noodles;too thick, and it won't mix evenly into the noodles. Practice, practice, practice; this is way better than piano, though.

I don't add anything to the sauce, except maybe a little bit of salt. I want the sweetness of the tomatoes to be the dominant flavour. Now boil the water, and add your pasta of choice. Spaghetti, penne, fetucine, whatever you like. We also have home made pasta noodles to choose from at home. Eating home made pasta is one of the great pleasures in the world, and I hope you all have the opportunity to experience it at least once.  When the pasta is done (sure, you can use the ceiling, but I find the wall easier to clean) strain it, and serve. Traditional spaghetti presentation is pouring the sauce over the plain noodles, but I like to put the pasta back into the pot first, and mix in the sauce until the noodles are evenly covered, than serve. The thing I like about this recipe is the fact that the spiciness of the peppers and garlic are in the pasta, not in the sauce, and the sweetness of the sauce serves to temper the heat of the peppers. I like hot and spicy, but I like flavour more, and sometimes hot peppers can burn so much, they mask the taste. Don't forget the fresh grated parmesan cheese.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Paul:
I just wanted to stop in and take a peek at your journal...i read all your posts on the Journals messege board and I just wanted to give you a HUGE hug and a BIG THANK YOU for stinking up for the journalers who people have created journals about to publically harrass them.... it has been done to me on more than one occation and i don't think it's right! i mean if you have a gripe with someone have the disagreement and move on right? but to make a journal to bash someone elses journal or life is cruel! but anyways thanks for everything you have posted on that topic it is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hey PLittle, does your country have a journals board? If it does, can I get the link? I saw that article you wrote about making the sauce the old way; in some way it reminded me of the tomato fight they have in Spain every year (waste of a lot of tomatoes but messy fun!!!). I'm stealing your recipe, ;D.

Blessings. :)

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies
http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/AnimationsLinks

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry, and the pasta sauce sounds glorious, even if you don't use the ceiling to check the noodles for doneness.... And I must say, you look cute in a chef's hat.  Funny, I never pictured you with a mustache.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul. I like your journal. I wanted to say thanks for visiting mine. But you comment has me puzzled. My previous pink? I'm going to be dumb here and say I have no idea what you are talking about.  But that is just me... You have a good evening. And come and visit again soon. Earlene

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it you've made me hungry.  It's too late to cook...now tommorrow I'm going to make a sauce, but I don't have your marvelous ingredients.....sounds wonderful..Bon Apetite....Sandi..http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

mmmm...sounds great!

Anonymous said...

and i see, that i'm still not linked...

brat.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm hungry!!
My dad, being the Italian chef in the family, would take one whole weekend about twice a year to make "gravy" (SAUCE!). He made it into a whole family affair, and by Sunday evening, we had enough of the stuff stored in the freezer to last about six months.

Kasey

http://journals.aol.com/ikoiko33/TheReturnofKaseypalooza