Thursday, October 21, 2004

Weekend assignment #30:By-gone TV

John Scalzi, of By The Way has handed down the latest weekend assignment:

"Assignment:  What gone, but not forgotten, TV series do you miss the most?

Extra Credit:
  If you had to be on a game show or reality show, which one would it be?"

Hmmmmmm. What gone, but not forgotten TV series...? Well, one of my favourite TV shows is gone, and almost completely forgotten. In fact, it was practically never known. I dont think it was ever shown outside of local Toronto area Canadian television.

"May I be of assistance?"

So asks 'The Host,' an AI computer interface, and Devon, Rachel, and Garth are drawn out of their comfortable rural existence and confronted with the harsh reality that their world is a spaceship, and it's broken, and nobody alive knows how to fix it.

Created by Harlan Ellison and Ben Bova, and intended to feature story arcs by writers such as A.E. Van Vogt, Frank Herbert, Joanna Russ, Thomas M. Disch, Alexei Panshin, Phillip K. Dick, and Ursula K. Le Guin, 1973's The Starlost was one of the most ambitious science fiction television projects ever conceived. The premise of the show was simple: "In the year 2790 A.D., a giant Earthship, Ark, drifts through deep space, out of control, its crew having been killed five hundred years earlier. When the accident that killed the crew occurred, the airlocks connecting the ship's domes that housed the last survivors of the dead planet Earth were sealed. Cut off from the outside world, many communities simply forgot that they were on a spacecraft. They accepted that their world was fifty miles in diameter and the sky was metal. Content with their lot, no one knew that their world was in grave danger. Without a crew at the helm, the Ark was on a collision course with a sun." As mentioned above, the three main characters accidentally find a way out of their sealed habitat and have their worlds turned upside down. The Ark is a sprawling, 200 mile long series of interconnected domes; each dome containing a completehabitat, and each dome sealed off from all the others, and the engineering areas of the ship. Devon, Garth and Rachel travel from dome to dome, trying to find someone, anyone, with the knowledge to correct the ship's course, and save the last remnants of humanity.

In the end, The Starlost succumbed to what all ambitious science fiction television projects succumb to: producers that don't get it and don't think the fans will get it, and budgetary constraints that rein in any serious special effects, not to mention paying for quality writers. Only one of the planned story arcs ever played out, the one by LeGuin, and the series rapidly devolved into a predictable weekly western style shootout. Only 17 episodes were ever shot, and The Starlost was truly lost, in the basement archives of the CTV television network. Apparently, the episodes were later knit into 5 movie length segments, which I understand are currently available from Amazon.com on VHS. The website I pulled most of this information from also indicated that as of 1999, the rights to develop a major motion picture based on the series had been sold to Sony Pictures, but I can find no evidence that the film project was ever actually begun.

So if The Starlost turned out to be a low budget hack sciffy show, why do you say it's the series you miss the most? Heck, I was a kid. I ate that stuff up. Don't get me started on Space:1999, or Battlestar Galactica.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this show!  My brother loved it, and I watched, too.  Wasn't Keir Dulyea (sp?) in it, or am I thinking of a different show?  We lived in NE Ohio, so it must have gotten out of Toronto a little way  :)

Anonymous said...

You already answered my Q...if I clicked on the the link to IMDB I would have known that he was in it, and that his name is spelled Dullea!

Anonymous said...

Why is it when there is an intellegent Sci-fi show, based on an idea that might make you think, it gets either turned into a shoot-em up, or cancelled, or both? I think I would have enjoyed this as Babylon 5 is still an all time favorite with me. To bad it never came to the states... hmmm wondering why the Sci-Fi channel (my favorite channel <g>)never picked it up?

Anonymous said...

I watched it too, despite knowing that it was not what Harlan wanted it to be. Bova, btw, wrote a novel about the experience called The Star-Crossed. The Harlan Ellison character featured prominently on the book's cover.

Another show in the same vein of good creator, bad show: Land of the Lost. Rod Serling wasn't too thrilled about the execution of Night Gallery, either, but I loved it.

Karen
http://journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/entries/1255

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I was shocked when someone picked Starlost as one of their favorite shows. I used to love watching Starlost every week. Along with a Saturday morning kiddie show on CBS called Jason of Star Command.

Anonymous said...

Love Sci-fi... can not believe I never heard of this one. Sounds interesting. :)
Loretta
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LupusLeftovers/
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LorettasStudio
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/FindingaVoice/

Anonymous said...

Sounds really interesting & I think I may have seen some clips from it on a docu about sci-fi TV shows.  You didn't say how long ago that was, but it almost sounds like the 80's sci-fi comedy 'Red Dwarf' could have been a spoof of it.  Have you ever seen Red Dwarf?  Now B.Galactica I couldn't get into, but Space 1999 and Babylon 5 were also my favorites.  Hmm, I see a 'space station' theme developing here.  ¤Holly

Anonymous said...

About the Scifi series The Ark or StarLost
It did air here in the US on one of the major networks for awhile in the early Seventies. It really was an intelligent  concept. I never got see all of the series. Cause my tv was ripped off. I have been trying to locate it now for awhile.

Lance