Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Wow!

   Well now! Let me catch my breath. This whole Guest Editor gig has been quite an experience. My journal has gone from getting an average of about forty hits per day, to averaging over 300 hits per day the last three days. I've replied via e-mail to about 50 comments, many from people who have never commented here before. In addition to journal comments, I've received dozens of e-mails, some of them forwarded to me from Joe, the Journals Editor, from people who mailed him, thinking they were mailing me.(If I missed responding to you, I am sorry. My inbox has been stuffed to overflowing, and organisation has never been one of my strong suits.) There are currently three entries on the front page with more comments than any entry I have previously written. (Actually, this entry will push one of those into the archives. If you want to read it, it's this one.)
   How to maintain that momentum? Keep writing. And keep the fingers crossed. But not at the same time, as that would really slow things down. But I digress.
   Today marks the first anniversary of Aurora Walking Vacation. I have been littering the ether with my random thoughts for 365 days. I began this blog as an exercise in regular writing, something I had drifted away from over the years. Only now, a year later, do I feel like I am starting to find my voice. I'm not only writing about things with more confidence, but I'm more confident in choosing the things I wish to write about.
   In future, you may find more articles like the one linked to above. Articles about subjects that some might find controversial. While I have strong opinions on many topics, I will try to present those opinions in a way that will not be insulting to those who disagree with me. While it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time, it may be possible, at least, to not piss everybody off.
   Oh, and I promise to keep posting pictures of Shadow.

Preview

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Paul!!!  Keep giving us that gorgeous doggie!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Shadow is so adorable! :) Melaney

http://journals.aol.com/domesticatedchic/SomethingLikeLifePartDeux

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the whole anniversary thing and being picked at the guest editor.  I know I've enjoyed walking with you for most of that year.

And a very hip motto you're sporting now too!

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

I still haven't found my voice, or rather, tend to shut it up because I like to write amusing pieces. I need to write more serious things in the future. There is a certain apprehension to putting your opinions out there, in full view, without hiding it behind comedy, isn't there?

But I say, if you've found your voice, then use it. ;)

Ari

Anonymous said...

Shadow is a doll baby.  I have a Scottie.  His name is Roddy MacDuff, and his favorite friend is a beautiful lady border collie named Miss Millie.

Thank you for your picks!

Anonymous said...

happy 1 year anniversary Paul !!
cute puppy you have too
hope you're enjoying your well deserved limelight
pamela

Anonymous said...

No reply to this comment is needed.....I don't want to contribute to your carpal tunnel syndrome, LOL.

Congrats on the anniversary.  Today is my 5 year anniversary at work, which doesn't seem like a long time since my last and only other job lasted 17 years or so.

You're doing great as guest editor!

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

Anonymous said...

You made a good decision, deciding to write. You are really good at it, and your dog is  good looking. They say that people and their dogs tend to look alike.  I think in your next photo, for a better comparison, you might try tilting your head up a bit, open your mouth, and let your tongue hang out, smiling all the while.

I have two dogs.  One, Cruise, is an Aussie/Sheltie mix, with a handsome merle coat.  To look more like Cruise, I'm thinking about asking my hairdresser to dye my hair with streaks of white, blue-grey and black, and then add black splotches randomly.  What has me perplexed is: how--or where--do I copy the white ruff?

best regards,
Dot (that's my nome de plume--it's "Tod" spelled backwards, and tod is another word for fox, and my blog is Fox Paw Press, get it?)
PS--I don't really have a hairdresser--I just go in for a cheap cut.

Anonymous said...



Well done, Paul.  I've been lured in much more regularly myself these past couple of weeks and finally added you in as a favorite.  You've arrived ;)  

Paula

Anonymous said...

You have a refreshingly literate journal and your Guest Editor gig is well-deserved. Congratulations!       Jon

Anonymous said...

 What a way to celebrate your first anniversary, Paul.  I'll bet you didnt expect this honor waaaay back when you first started this journal.  Well, good for you, and congrats on a job well done. By the way, I just stopped by the GTA bloggers site.  Wish I had taken a look there before my last visit to Toronto, when I was looking for names of some good restaurants.  Oh, well.... now I know where to go before my next visit.  Which reminds me...... Weatherwise, what do you think is the best month for a visit ?  ( I visited last October, when it rained 7 of the 8 days I was there... don't really want a repeat of that.   Tina

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your anniversary!  You've written a lot of interesting things in that time, and I read most of them, possibly all of them.  Keep it up!  - Karen

Anonymous said...

SHADOW IS A PREETY DOG .tHATS A GOOD WAY OF ANYVERSARY

Anonymous said...

happy 1st anniversary!  we watched shadow grow just as we did you here - perfect.