Wednesday, October 5, 2005

"Well, I'm back," he said.

   With those words J.R.R. Tolkien ended his 1300 odd page epic The Lord Of The Rings, and managed, in one short sentence, to sum up the meaning of the entire work. At one point, late last week, while ruminating on the rapidly approaching date of our departure from Sicily, my wife made a comment to the effect that it (our vacation) was almost over. Her Uncle Mario smiled, and told her that nothing is ever really over. I don't know if Mario has read Tolkien, but it wouldn't at all surprise me. While Sam Gamgee's words mark the ending of a story, they do not mark the ending of the story.
   I filled about 45 pages in a notebook with opinions and observations during the trip, which I will try to arrange into some form of readability, and post up here, along with some of the hundreds of photographs I took during the trip. (Don't be thinking that's going to be a lot. I write big.) Now, however, I must retire, having spent altogether too much time trying to catch up on reading blogs and message boards, (and hardly making a dent for that matter), and the jet lag is catching up with me. I just wanted to pop in here and say, "well, I'm back."

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back...we've been waiting. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Really glad you are back. Recup from the jet lag...look forward to reading all about the trip....Sandi

Anonymous said...

I missed you, ASSFACE!


xoxoxoxo,
andi

*lolllllll

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I look forward to hearing about your "there and back again" trip!  (And boy, do you have a lot to catch up on here!) - Karen

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I hope you picked up some interesting and amazing stories to fill us in on. We're desperate, we've all be stationary. Sleep, recoup, and catch up at your own pace.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
Welcome home! You have been sorely missed,I'm glad that you and your family had a blast! We are looking forwards to tales and pictures
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

Welcome back :)
~Tricia

Anonymous said...

You have been missed  although I have to admit Carnivaol went along without a hitch...she did a truly great job and is impressive...you are just in time for the ViVI awards...better start writing your acceptance speech..cMp

Anonymous said...

You certainly seem to have amassed enough comments welcoming you back.  Even if one does refer to you as an assface.  I'd have gone with the more accurate 'four-eyes' myself.

Get postin'!  (After sleep, that is.)

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh Yes I knew there was a feeling in the air....Things havent felt the same in the old digs...and then the air clear and comfortable again...Yeaaaa!! Welcome Home! We will wait patiently as you recouperate! Hope the vacation was joyous/relaxing! Look forward to reading your perspective on the trip!!!
Peace
Jodi

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!  Can't wait to see the pictures and read the observations.  Very very cool!

ANd welcome back!!!!  

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Plittle.  

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back! Rest, relax, recuperate.... and when you are ready you will find us breathlessly awaiting pictures and stories ;)
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back...get some rest & share with us your new knowledge!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Paul ... You were missed.  Tina
http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Yay! Woohoo! Your'e back alright! big Hugs,
natalie