Monday, October 10, 2005

When they say UP country...

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Granite con Brioche (Gra-nee-ta con Bree-osh)
   Granite is a frozen confection made with lemon juice and sugar. We might call it a lemon ice, however no lemon ice you've ever tasted approaches Granite for pure yumminess. The Brioche is a light, sweet, egg bread roll that you eat with the Granite. By themselves, each is delicious. Together they are a taste sensation that is beyond description. Really, you've seen all the pictures of the Eiffel Tower already anyway. Did mention that was breakfast?

   Today we went to the countryside, a campagna (cam-pan-ya), to visit the farm, il cuzza, owned by my wife's family. I thought the narrow winding road up to the village was precarious. At least it was paved. The glorified cart path leading up the mountain to where my wife's great grandfather first farmed the land was twice as steep, and a third as wide. And I had to drive it.
   Ciccio's Mitsubishi truck would never be able to negotiate the narrow switchbacks, and his other truck, a Suzuki Sidekick, had the rear seat folded up in order to make room for all the good stuff we would be bringing back down. Besides, Matthew wanted a ride in the Ape.


Matthew, Pat's Zio (uncle) Mario, and several cats pose in front of the Ape.

   An Ape (ah-bay) is a hybrid of a three wheeled motorcycle, and a pick-up truck. It is the rural vehicle of choice in Sicily. Newer ones have car-like controls, but most of them have a set of motorcycle handlebars for driving.
   So Matthew and Pat squeezed into the Ape with Ciccio, while I followed in the 'jeep.' Ciccio's mother, Pat's Aunt Carmella, was my passenger, and the 80-odd year old bird was calmer than I was as we assayed the climb. It really was no problem at all, as long as I didn't look down over the edge of the road to the dry river bed five hundred feet below.


Looking down.

   The cuzza is a series of stone walled terraces extending up and down the mountain for hundreds of feet of elevation. The terraces are a mixture of fruit trees, grape vines, olive trees, fig trees, prickly pear cacti, and traditional garden plants like tomatoes, beans, and lettuce. We came back down the mountain with the truck filled to overflowing with prickly pears, peaches, plums, pears, lemons, grapes, tomatoes, and Sicilian zucchini. As well, we walked up the mountainside an additional several hundred feet or so, along a treacherous, winding path to fill every empty bottle we could scare up at the farm's natural spring. The most delicious water I have ever tasted.

   ~~A side note that will be of interest only to a select few...~~

   The toilets in Europe are, well, deeper than what we are used to in North America. The standing water level is also considerably lower. Given the somewhat, uh, amphitheater-like shape of said toilet bowls, this leads to some, shall we say, impressive acoustic phenomena during certain, uh, activities performed behind closed doors. I'm just sayin'.


What, are you mad? I didn't take any pictures of the toilet bowls, OK?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to try the granite con brioche!  Sounds just delicious.  Maybe I can whip that up for breakfast sometime and serve it with postcards of the Eiffel Tour.  Sniff, sniff.  That's me wishing I was there exploring the beautiful countryside with you.  Looks like an interesting ride on very narrow roads with a wonderful yield to bring back.  Hugs,
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful country. I love tasting different types of food. That breakfast sounds wonderful. I'm guessing you had a great trip!

Ari

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
Ah ! the Brioche! The lemon thing sounds good too!
I really enjoyed your vivid description of the lengthy climb up this beautifully terraced terrain, along with descriptions of the motor bike, your relatives swinging along, and he great repast of food after....Ah such are the subjects of many a dream! hugs, natalie

Anonymous said...

Regarding the sidenote:   Thanks. I learned something new today !!  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I don't believe you .... I know you must have a toilet bowl pic for the family scrap book.  Sicily is amazing farmland...and you really got to sample form its bounty...makes me want to go there - right now!

Be well,
Dawn

http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:

Anonymous said...

You being a former electronics wiz (you probably still claim to be) and therefore a true expert in accoustics, I can only imagine your joy at this ability to create a new symphony of depth (not to mention the vibratto - does that go to far?).
How did they get you (and probably, at his age, Mat) out of that room?
I'm not surpised you survived that drive, you drive like an old man (soon to graduate to an old lady).
I probably would have done a supreme imitation of a great imitation of Superman in his car (until I hit the bottom and provided an even more graphic imitation of gespacho.
No more slacking off.
I'll be looking for another installment tomorrow.
Brent

Anonymous said...

Ah, isn't it good to have friends?
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Gawd!!
I really have to start adding these comments at other times, than late at night, when my schedule is bolluxed by working nights and when I've already had a couple of (meaning somewhere between 2 and "crap, how'd we run out of wine so fast?") glasses of wine.

I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed by, "a supreme imitation of a great imitation of Superman", or by the fact that I actually proof read that ("proof" is actually a really, really bad word here, obviously - for me!)

Originally I was embarrassed by writing "to" when I meant "too"!

This would be why I don't have my own blog. I couldn't handle the abuse.
Easier to just abuse you (and give you chuckles over how bad I am.)
Brent

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful place.  The vehicle is intriguing, and I love that second picture.  Plus you're making me hungry! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Everything sound delicious. Oh, that road did look scary, I had the same thing in Japan with mountainous roads, not even any rail guards. The veggies, the water oh it sound so good. What a marvelous trip you have had already, can't wait to read more. Sandi