Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sometimes the light's all shining on me

   Teresa invented her own meme. This is it.

What high school did you graduate from? Bayview Secondary School, although I only spent one semester there. Most of my high school life was spent at Langstaff Secondary School.

What year? 1985. OK, I have a question here. I entered my final year of high school in the fall of 1984, and graduated in the spring of 1985. So am I the class of '84 or '85? I have never been able to figure that out.

Do you remember your schools newspaper name? I don't think there was a school newspaper.

How about your school mascot.What was it? A "Golden Bear."

What were your school colors? Blue and Gold

Did you belong to any clubs, academic or otherwise clubs? No. Well, I joined the chess club one year, but that didn't last, because I wasn't very good.

Were you in student counsel? No.

Were you involved in sports? Curling. Stop laughing.

What crowd did you tend to hang out with? I hung out with the same group of guys with whom I had been hanging out since kindergarten. We weren't really part of any "crowd."

Were you named "most likely to" in any category for your graduating class? No.

Did you have a favorite teacher and subject? The first couple of years Math was my favourite class because it was easy for me. By mylast year English was my favourite subject because it was actually interesting. I can't think of any one single teacher who made a significant, life altering impression on me.

What did seniors do traditionally at your school do to celebrate graduating? (by this I mean an activity not condoned by the school).  No idea. While I graduated, I did not take part in any of the traditional graduation activities. My parents don't even have a High School Grad picture of me, nor does one appear in my yearbook(s) from my graduating year.

Did you have a high school sweetheart? And if you did, what became of that relationship? I dated a couple of girls in high school. One of whom it would be fun to meet up with and reminisce, and one of whom it wouldn't. And then there was this girl I met in the last few months of my high school career. I married her.

On a scale of 1-10, just how cool were you in high school? I'd have to say depending on the year. I varied between 3 and 5.

Name a few popular things (bands, type of clothing, catch phrases) from your high school days.  Oi! The early eighties. Where to begin? Thin leather ties. White socks under black pants and black shoes. Cabbage Patch Kids. Rubik's Cube. Reganomics. Boycotted Olympic Games. Falklands War. Yuppies. Personal computers. Compact discs. Sony Walkmans. The Space Shuttle. MTV. Michael Jackson's Thriller. Break dancing. Glam metal. New wave. The Star Wars Trilogy. Tron. The A-Team. Knight Rider. Dallas. Trivial Pursuit. Donkey Kong. Space Invaders. Asteroids. I say again, Oi!

Lastly, got your high school year book picture? Post it.

Preview   Preview   Preview
        1980                             1981                        1982

   There don't appear to be any class pictures of me in either the '83 or '84 yearbooks. I suspect that's because in'83 I should have appeared in a Grade 12 Graduation photo, and did not, and in '84 I should have appeared in a Grade 13 Graduation photo and did not. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Those years are all pretty much a blur these days.
   There is, however, this rather odd shot near the back of the '83 yearbook labelled 'Halloween Dance.' I'm the goofy looking one with my eyes closed and a cancer stick in my hand. What a long strange trip it's been.

Preview


tags: ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but where's Starbuck?

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Dude?  You totally wore the same shirt in '81 and '82.  Like, go to the mall or something, man.  

Oh, you're also considered part of the class of '85.  They go with the year you actually received your diploma.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Yeah It's shining alright! sick Paul sick!:):)
and how did they get those smiles?!
natalie

Anonymous said...

ok so where's your shirt Dan? (peering over :)
hey Apul, do you remember that song?
natalie

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that is too funny about the striped t-shirt.

BTW, you forgot to mention vests (looks like you're wearing one in the photo), burgundy rugby pants, blue topsiders and leg warmers.

Anonymous said...

I loved the pics, Paul .... especially that last one.  Contrary to what you said, you looked like the very image of 'high school cool.'   Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... okay... so are you going to explain the extended high school stay or is that a self explanatory thing in Canada??

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Awww . . . I was just a wee little thing in my momma's belly when you graduated high school, how does that make you feel? (hehehehe)

. . . either way let it be said you were quite the stud back in 1982. Ow! Ow!

Amanda :)
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

P.S. You would be the class of '85.