Sunday, May 20, 2007

Approaching a time that is classic

   Acoverforty, who, by the way, is not a loser, recently wrote about finding deals at HMV. Like him, I am a big fan of pawing through delete bins looking for hidden gems. or, if they are cheap enough, picking up two or three unknowns hoping for a pleasant surprise. The other day, Matthew convinced me to take him to the mall. Seems the new Linkin Park album has just come out, and he just had to have it. Right away!
   His mother has made a deal with him. He has a guitar recital coming up in a couple of weeks, and if he practices his performance piece, in his mother's presence, twice a day from now until then, she will pay for whatever new CDs he wants between now and then. He needs to be careful, though, If he neglects the practicing one day, he will have to pay her back for all of the CDs he gets.
   The visit to HMV allowed me to check out the two for ten dollars rack Andrew mentioned in his previous entry, and like him, I couldn't resist. I picked up CDs from
Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Willie Dixon, and Ottmar Liebert. Great stuff!

Tags:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, can your son really play that piece? Good for him! My kid has had 3 lessons so far and is thrilled to be playing "Wipe Out"...very slowly. It's cute. --Cin

Anonymous said...

What are you doing at HMV?  I thought you did all your shopping at Canadian Tire.  

Aside from that, that's a pretty neat piece to pick for a recital.  Tell him good luck for me.  It's a pretty song, but I never really liked the harmonic bits in it.  They just don't seem to fit to me.    

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Sinatra!?!
You just went right past aging and straight to petrified!!
I'm with Mat. Give me the Linkin Park!
Brent
PS - the other 3 at least indicate you're "not dead yet!"

Anonymous said...

Time for a new script. I read one of those "finds' as Winn Dixie & thought wth?
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Somehow most of the Ray Charles CDs I find tend to be either oddball recordings of his hits or recordings of his non-hits, with Georgia on My Mind or What'd I Say or I Can't Stop Loving You tacked on.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, a hidden benefit for you!  I hope Matt sticks it out!!!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

   I love to spend an afternoon going through the bins at Rhino Records, seeing what gems I  can come up with.  I'm always thrilled when I can find some little hidden treasure.  ( Although I've been known to pick a stinker or two, I usually do pretty well.)
  Here's hoping  that Matt knocks 'em dead with his performance.  =)  Tina

Anonymous said...

Have to love delete bins .. Hope Matthew does well at his recital.  Eldest has been asked to go for a recital for his drum lessons.  In fact last night was the first time he has ever played in front of me.  He hates to play in front of people.  

Anonymous said...

I like the way that mother thinks!  :)  I may borrow it  9after verifying my bank account and for what event to save this for)).

Anonymous said...

Oops, meant to add, is HMV a loval spot, or?  I'm not familiar with them, but I like the cd's chosen by the person you linked to!

Anonymous said...

dear Paul,
ah yes! teens and CDs! what a deal!
hugs,nat