Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Wednesday "things"

1) CarnivAOL submissions request a day early. Matt and I are heading off to Ottawa for a long weekend with Matt's cousins. We're hoping to check out a couple of shows at the Ottawa Folk Festival. The offshoot is I won't be around tomorrow to make my regular Thursday request, so I'm doing it today. E-mail your submissions to me before Sunday at midnight for inclusion in next Tuesday's edition. It's J-Land's third birthday on Monday, so this is one way you can get in on the action. For more information, read all about it on the CarnivAOL home page.


2) I will also not be around tomorrow to announce the publication of a new
Skeptics' Circle. It will be at Interverbal this week. Plan to drop in and check out the latest crop of writing on skepticism and critical thinking from around this here blogiverse.


3) I dropped into Starbucks on my way out to do some shopping today, and ordered one of them there Grande Caramel Macchiatos. Whenever I do that, I am reminded of
Simon's entry about silly sizing. Moreso today, as they were out of Grande (medium) cups, and upsized me to a Venti (large) for free.
   See, Grande is the Italian word for large, even though it is their medium size. And Venti is the Italian word for twenty...

...

...


Yeah, I'm as baffled by that one as you are.
   The smaller size they offer, they call Tall, which isn't an Italian word at all. Where's the consistency, I ask you. Where?


4) Poop on you,
mbna. Today I received a solicitation for business from you in my mail box. Yes, snail mail spam is what it was. You know what? That's not such a big deal. I can handle taking the envelope out of my mail box and tossing it, unopened. The problem is exactly where I have to throw it.
   See, there was a little plastic window in the envelope. Common, I know. Except, this little window didn't have my name and address showing through it. No, this was an unaddressed, snail mail equivalent of a spam flood; one to be found in every single mailbox in town. The plastic window wasn't even in the traditional, lower left quadrant spot. No, this undersized plastic window, near the bottom right corner of the envelope, allowed through the words, "low 6 month rate." That's right, mbna, you spent a crapload of cash on a custom designed, plastic window envelope, to advertise a low six month rate on something. You didn't even say what. Was I supposed to be curious and open the envelope?
   Sorry, but it didn't work. That kind of crap goes directly from my mail box to my recycling box. Usually. But, this envelope had a little plastic window in it, didn't it? I couldn't throw it into my blue box because of that little window. I had to dispose of it in the regular trash.
   You, mbna, have spent all that money, and the only result is that you are contributing to the destruction of our natural environment by creating more solid waste to fill our already overtaxed landfill sites. I'll say it again, mbna. Poop on you!


5) Who the hell is to blame for how the word Wednesday is spelled, anyway?


tags:
, , ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my a rant on Starbucks cups and snail mail spam.... AND the word Wednesday???  Yikes!!!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Number 5)

That same sadistic bastard who inflicted 'colonel' on us, that's who!!  Where the HELL is the "R" I keep hearing!?  I can't see it; can you see it?

Sigh-mon

Anonymous said...

MBNA!?! DOUBLE, TRIPLE POOP ON THEM!!!  I unfortunately, once possessed an MBNA credit card--biggest mistake made in my life...  NEVER do business with those thieves!!  Julie :)  P.S.  I hope your Thursday turns out better.  

Anonymous said...

Simon, if we can have silent letters, why not have invisible ones too?

Anonymous said...

On her trip to Italy my sis noted they usually had but one size for coffee, which is sipped from a juice-sized glass. The only other is the expresso which of course is almost non-existent. Caio! CATHY

Anonymous said...

5. Woden.  Blame him.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

have a great time with Matt and family; Starbucks Caramel Macchiatos; could care less how they label them size-wise; just delicious no matter what they want to call them

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Betty.  Call it whatever you want... I want the biggest, with the most caffeine... ooh and maybe a seasonal flavor!  Yum!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Regarding your Starbucks mention:

You ask: "Where's the consistency, I ask you. Where?"

The answer:  The consistency is in the price.  All of them are too expensive.  :)

Patrick