Thursday, October 19, 2006

This sounds interesting

Don't Believe Everything You Think: The Six Basic Mistakes We Make In Thinking, by Thomas Kida.
This enlightening book discusses how to recognize faulty thinking and develop the necessary skills to become a more effective problem solver. Author Thomas Kida identifies “the six-pack of problems” that leads many of us unconsciously to accept false ideas:
  1. We prefer stories to statistics.
  2. We seek to confirm, not to question, our ideas.
  3. We rarely appreciate the role of chance and coincidence in shaping events.
  4. We sometimes misperceive the world around us.
  5. We tend to oversimplify our thinking.
  6. Our memories are often inaccurate.
   As far as I am concerned, that list hits pretty much every nail square on the head.

tags:
,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just ran across your journal.  Great reads... Love the PICS too.  (I try and be creative, doesn't always work out) LOL  PS Wondering about your #79 in 100 things about you.  Too funny!  http://journals.aol.com/mandijo1822/mj/

Anonymous said...

You are such a technocratic philistine.  

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that #2 is my personal favorite.

Fred

Anonymous said...

    I think so too .... and problem # 2  has got to be one of the more   troublesome of the bunch .... in every facet of our lives.  Especially relationships.  Tina

Anonymous said...

1) I prefer statistics to stories... I often research "stories" to find the truth.
2) True, to some degree, however, if one is open to new ideas, one is open to new avenues and new ways of thinking.
3) Perhaps that is because we shape chance and coincidence; It is difficult to accept chance and coincidence because they are happenstance and we want to be in control, or at least think we are.
4) We all tend to have a subjective view of the world around us. We perceive, filter and objectify the world in a way that suits us.
5) Quite true....we tend to NEED to bring everything to the lowest denominator...
6) Again true, however, keep in mind that there are forces, ( family, friends, etc.) that wish to KEEP those memories innacurate. Not to denigrate the concept, because I agree that our memories can be innacurate, but memories are, again, subjective.  Two siblings will have different memories of the same event. ( And before y'all flame me, I am married to an identical twin and am close with HIS twin, so I am an amatuer expert on the subject!!)

Anonymous said...

RE:
1) While the numbers might support this, there's this one guy in Iceland who prefers statistics to stories, which I think is much more important.  Reminds me of the time...
2) This one goes against all I believe and so I choose to ignore it.
3) My horoscope said you'd say this!
4) Misperceive the word around us?  Are you saying we can't read?  
5) That's a pretty general thing to say, don't you think?  
6) That's not what I remember the book saying.

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy the list as long as chance isnt questioned with conclusions that state as face eventhough, such chance had to be perfect a billions times over to exist as true in ones logical conclusion. Otherwise, I enjoyed the list as well...-Raven