Monday, September 25, 2006

Hints, anyone?

   After eleven days, half the songs of my recent music meme have been identified. The other half are proving to be somewhat troublesome for you. Now, for many of them that does not surprise me, as they are somewhat obscure, and several of them are **GASP** Canadian. Still, there are two or three on that list that I am quite surprised have not been guessed yet.
   I'm going to wait until this Thursday - two weeks after a I initially posted it - to reveal the complete list. In the meantime, here are some hints for you.

#1) Seriously, people! I thought this was the easiest one on the list. Especially after the other, less well known song by the same band was revealed earlier.

#3 and #4) are also by the same band. Not the same band as #1, but the same as each other. OK, another hint, they are Canadian, and former East Coast Music Award winners.

#5) This soul artist opened the TD-Canada Trust Downtown Jazz Festival in 2005. His/their biggest hit was called "Can't Stop."

#7) This Canadian artist has another song - that has already been identified - on this list.

#9) Another Canadian. Married to Elvis. No, I'm not kidding.

#10) Give me a break, people. This is only one of the most influential rock and roll bands of the twentieth century. Their lead singer just released a new solo album. I thought this one was practically a gimme.

#13) No, I'm not surprised you didn't get this one. They're a relatively new band from the UK who I have profiled in this space before. They do not play Led Zeppelin songs or have an Elvis impersonator as their lead singer. Like anyone would.

#17) Used to have a partner. Never married to Elvis, but I'm pretty sure he's been to Graceland.

#19) Yeah, I didn't think you'd get this one either. Used to sing in a Canadian rock band, now a solo artist. If you push, you might figure it out.

   Remember, Google is cheating! If you don't know 'em, come back on Thursday and I'll reveal the full list. Also, if you have done this meme in your own journal, leave a link so I can play along, too.

tags:
,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*whimper*  Please stop yelling at me...  I hardly ever listen to the first lines, actually.  I'm usually all wrapped up in what key the song's in and other nonsense.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Hey, telling me "it's easy" isn't a HINT, Paul.

Anonymous said...

#17 is Paul Simon, but I don't know the song.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

#19 is David Usher.  But I only know that because of the incredibly subtle hint you left as to his rather Moist past, and I'm probably (one of) the only reader(s) who knows that Canadian band.

Identifying a song and artist by first line alone is bloody hard.  So much of the memory trigger is in the melody, eh?

Simon