Friday, April 28, 2006

Weekend assignment

Weekend Assignment #109: What are some of the most recent music albums you have bought? Name up to three. Note that I said "bought" -- I want to know what music you've liked so much that you've actually shelled out cash for them.

Extra Credit: Did you buy these albums on CD, or did you get them online through iTunes or another music service?
   I haven't been buying a lot of music recently because it falls into the category of unnecessary luxury. However, over the past couple of Christmases, and birthdays, my wife and son have been helping me deal with my new-CD withdrawl pains by buying me a few here and there. A notably eclectic mix of music was in my stocking this past Christmas morning.

1) Yo-Yo Ma - Plays Ennio Morricone (The cello artist plays selected excerpts from a dozen of Morricone's film scores).

2) The Rat Pack - Boys' Night Out. (A variety of live tracks sung by Frank, Dean, and Sammy).

3) AC/DC - Back In Black. (Matthew rectified a failing in my CD collection, that being that I didn't own any AC/DC albums, by buying me their biggest).

   Since then, we have worked together to continue fixing that oversight, as can be seen in the picture below. Matthew has recently identified another hole in the collection: Jimi Hendrix. What do you suppose I'm getting for Fathers' Day?


Preview
(Do me a favour and pretend that CD just to the left of The Razor's Edge isn't there, OK?)

Extra Credit: I'm a little bit of an audio snob, so downloaded music isn't satisfying to me. It just doesn't sound good enough to me. I don't listen to music on my computer, so I buy the CD versions of albums. My next hardware purchase will be a DVD/CD player with SACD capability, to take that next step in audio quality.
   My next Cd purchase will be for my wife on Mothers' Day.  Local boys Bedouin SoundclashSounding a Mosaic. Great album. I recommend it highly.

tags:,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gads!  We really ARE twins.  The only time I listen to music on my computer is when I'm burning a CD.  

Anonymous said...

A closet Paula fan, huh... it's okay... you can 12 step your way off of it.... lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Nice variety, and great choices.  I like the Morricone stuff, too.  I've got  CD's of Frank and Dean's stuff in my car.  But  ... you gotta get some Hendrix !  It's not that I listen to him much anymore, but you know .... you just have to have it.  Tina

Anonymous said...

What?!?  No Clay Aiken?  

Man, Canada just doesn't get it.  

--Dan

Anonymous said...

Been a long time since I listened to Toys in the Attic...a great album!! Rock on.