Monday, May 8, 2006

<scalzify>A sixpack of bloggy goodness</scalzify>

(My original title for this entry was "blog six packs." I thought that was rather bland, so I decided to use the new scalzify html tag. What do you think of the result?)


   Our good buddy, Joe, the AOL Journals Editor, has asked for our help. He wants us to get him a six pack. And he's the one who's always warning us to be careful about what we write in our blogs. (psst. Joe! I think your boss is reading)

   Oh, that's not what he meant. He's looking for a blog six pack. That's a list of six blogs I enjoy reading, and that I think you'll enjoy, too.
   So, here are six blogs I enjoy reading, and that I think you'll enjoy, too. OK, honesty is the best policy. I really couldn't care less whether you enjoy them, or not.

Mike's Weekly Skeptic Rant

Mike is a fellow Canadian, which means many of you will be jealous of his insightfulness and wisdom. And proper spelling. Be aware that Mike doesn't pull any punches, and has been known to use profanity in his state of almost perpetual exasperation.


Memoirs of a Skepchick

Rebecca is a skepchick, which means she is able to model for a calendar and think at the same time. Critical thinking skills are sexy.


What my kids want to know

Maggie's two sons, Colin and Robert, ask a lot of questions, as young people are wont to do. For fun, she decided to ask the Internet at large for answers. Sure, she could have just made good use of Google, or Wikipedia. But hey, if you're going to get answers of dubious value, why not add interaction to the mix?


Simian Farmer

Simon, another Canadian (I see you rolling your eyes), named his blog after popular spellcheck results for his name. Like Aurora Walking Vacation, Simian Farmer doesn't have a specific theme. Simon writes about his family, his job (a bit), and his observations on life. And he does it really well.


Project Jason: Voice For The Missing

Five years ago, Kelly Jolkowski's eighteen year old son left the house to wait for a ride to his part time job. His brother looked out to see him bringing the empty trash cans up from the curb as he was waiting. He was never seen again. Kelly and her family started Project Jason, a non-profit organisation devoted to "creat[ing] and increas[ing] public awareness of missing people through a variety of outreach and educational activities. Project Jason seeks to bring hope and assistance to families of the missing by providing resources and support."

One of the things Kelly has chosen to focus on is the way families of missing persons are victimized by alleged psychics and mediums claiming to have information about missing loved ones. Her series on psychics and missing persons begins here:
Introduction to the Psychics and Missing People Series.


The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind

Dan is a little bit out there. But he makes me laugh. More or less.

   There, that's six, isn't it? On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else think Joe needs a haircut?

tags:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your six-pack. (I always think of beer when I read six-pack) I will have to give them a look-see.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

"More or less?!?!"  I've got to work on my Canadian humour, eh?

Anyway, thanks for including me with all this delightful, hyper-Scalzified, bloggy-goodness.  I'm flattered to be in this collection of Thinkers.  Did you have a hard time coming up with a sixth?  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Congratulation to all on your scalzification!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pimpin', Paul.  That doesn't make me your bitch, but I will give you a cut of whatever money I make.

And, more importantly, have you contacted the World Wide Web Consortium in regards to updating their html standards?  'Cause your <scalzify> tags ain't doin' squat.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Great blogs and please... please tell Joe to get a freakin hair cut!!!!  What AOL doesn't pay enough to hit the barber???

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Come visit... I did my six pack too.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

If and when I do get a haircut, it will be on my own terms. Thanks -- Joe
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/