Saturday, February 12, 2005

100 things about me


  Lissa (who is married to Jay) has a list of 100 things about herself. I commented that I didn't think I could come up with 100 things about myself. Lissa encouraged me to try. "Go slow," she said.
  Ok, let's start with what we already know:

1) I like music
2) I'm married with children
3) I usually stay up too late

hmmm...

4) I am Canadian
5) When I say 'children' I mean Matthew
6) There is no sixth thing
7) I drive a coupe while my wife drives a sedan
8) They are both Honda Civics
9) Mine is black
10) My cell phone number ends in 2000
11) I keep my CDs alphabetised
12) I haven't skied since I took up curling 25 years ago
13) My son wants to learn to ski
14) That last one wasn't about me
15) Yes it was
16) I have a poster of a Picasso drawing titled 'Sleeping Woman' hanging on my wall
17) It reminds me of drawings made by John Lennon
18) I have a small pen and ink portrait of John Lennon in my family room
19) I am pretty opinionated
20) I am trying to learn to be more skeptical and less opinionated
21) My hands and feet tend to get really cold a lot
22) My wife hates that
23) My favourite comic book superhero was always Ironman
24) Followed closely by Captain America
25) I keep a 30 gallon tropical aquarium
26) The live plants in it are of equal importance to the fish
27) There's one fish in there that I almost never see
28) Now I always tell people, "don't buy a clown pleco"
29) I don't walk as much as I should
30) I look stupid in sweat pants
31) My tennis elbow is almost better
32) I have a small collection of inexpensive antique cameras
33) My cat hates my dog
34) My dog loves my cat
35) It is not an ideal situation
36) I mostly read science fiction and fantasy
37) But I'm really picky
38) I've always thought Sherlock Holmes was pretty cool
39) I think Sean Connery was the best Bond
40) I think Roger Moore was the worst
41) I think Adrian Paul would be a horrible choice for the next Bond
42) I just switched to Firefox by Mozilla
43) I love it
44) Ihave read the Bible cover to cover
45) I kinda skimmed the begets
46) My favourite writer is Guy Gavriel Kay
47) My favourite Kay book is Tigana
48) I didn't finish University
49) I'm the skip of my curling team
50) Which means I get to yell, "Hurry Hard!" really loud if I want
51) I've never lost my voice from yelling, "Hurry Hard!"
52) I like to golf, but it's too expensive
53) My wife is a wine person, but I am a beer person
54) As of August 29, 2005, I have reviewed 110 different beers at TheManRoom.com
55) That puts me in eighth place
56) I'm only 326 beer reviews behind the leader
57) My favourite so far: Fuller's London Porter
58) I feel guilty that's not a Canadian beer
59) I have seriously considered driving to Buffalo just to buy beer
60) I certainly can't think of any other reason to drive to Buffalo
61) Many people do not 'get' my sense of humour
62) I have always disliked the word 'Huzzah'
63) I like Peter Jackson's film adaptations of The Lord of the Rings
64) But then again, I liked Highlander, so what does that say
65) I have small feet
66) I took piano lessons as a child
67) For years afterwards I could play The Entertainer from memory
68) I've since forgotten how
69) Though I'm Canadian, I have never played organised hockey
70) I was always invited to the street hockey games because I had a goalie stick and a net
71) My favourite food is beef
72) OK, specifically, a nice, thick, rare steak
73) Really rare
74) Pasta runs a close second
75) I tend to prefer function over form
76) I will spend as much on lighting as any other aspect of a room's decor
77) I think my TV is too small
78) I think my subwoofer is too small
79) **this sentence deleted due to reference to The Incredible Hulk's genetalia**
80) That's a bit of an inside joke
81) I used to hate Reggae
82) I went to Jamaica on my honeymoon
83) Now I love Reggae
84) I'm a mediocre golfer
85) I have broken 100 once...on a short course
86) I didn't play at all last year, due to my tennis elbow
87) I have high hopes for this year
88) I suck at poker
89) That doesn't stop me from playing
90) I can't believe there's only ten to go
91) Dog ownership has its rewards
92) Picking the remains of doggy biscuits out of thebottom of the washing machine isn't one of them

93) I enjoy watching a good movie on my home theater system
94) I'm afraid
95) One of my favourite songs is 'John Barleycorn Must Die' by Traffic
96) Also: Last Resort, Deperado, Wasting Time...flip a coin
97) Fatherhood has its rewards
98) Picking the remains of doggy biscuits out of the bottom of the washing machine is one of them
99) I stole the next one from Simon
100) There. Are. Four. Lights.


List to be updated as time and insight allow. (updated June 13th, 10:02pm)

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure any number of people would be happy to help you think of things to say about yourself ; For instance:
4) Lives in a house infested by paranormal visitors
5) Makes one helluva tomato sauce
6) Occasionally suffers from toxic gas
7) A bit of a smart-ass
8) Likes to wallow in fecal matter
etc, etc,... See! There's 5 more without even trying! Glad to be of assistance!

Anonymous said...

Paul, how many children do you have?

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO@Donahs comment.

Paul, I know you could have done better than 3.

Anonymous said...

You know, before I read the comments, I was going to suggest that it might be an interesting experiment to ask readers to make contributions in order to compile 100 Things About Paul That Paul Might Be Surprised Others Know About Him.  Given some of the insights that can sometimes be gleaned from these sorts of things.

They could range from the obviously mundane to the disturbingly insightful.

Hmmm...  Perhaps I'll consider doing something like that for my own.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

I like the reader collaboration idea.  However, I won't presume.

The fundamental quandary of such a list, as I'm sure you realize, is that you want to fill it up without revealing things that you don't want the online world to know. (This is assuming you sincerely want to find 100 things, which may not be the case.)  You can say, for example,

11. I live at 123 Nowhere Lane, Sometown, Canada Y3M 4GY
12. My home phone humber os 555-555-0000
13. I work at Some Organization, located on North Wherever Street
14. My children go to Mystery School, where they are available for kidnapping at 3 PM when school lets out.

But, not being insanely confessional, you aren't going to do that.

Hmm.  Maybe I'll play this game, since I AM insanely confessional.

Karen

Anonymous said...

4)  You are Canadian

5)  You end every sentence with, "eh?"

Anonymous said...

4)  You were a dog in a past life and still exhibit certain characteristics.
5)  People either love you or hate you.
6)  You spell funny.

Anonymous said...

 Hey, Paul .....   I, too,    1. love music
                                    2. am married with children
                                    3. usually stay up too late
                                    4. am Canadian (although I've lived in L.A. for years)
                                    5.  Drive a Honda
                                    6.  Alphabetize my CD's
                       and       7.  Have been a 'Traffic' fan for ages    
So, now I only have to think of 93 more things, unless you could maybe list some more that I could borrow from ??   Tina
                http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

That's better. - Karen

Anonymous said...

Back up and re-number.  Numbers 6, 14, 15 and 17 don't count (17 is a runoff of 16).  

Anonymous said...

you took up curling eh?
hmmmm
ok .. i'll bite .. is it unsafe or something to ski with curly hair?
loving your list lol
pamela

Anonymous said...

Eh hem... Paul darling... #31 is blank.  Don't make me fill it in, because you know I will use words like 'tutu' and 'thong'.

Anonymous said...

I leave the last number blank to indicate that there is more to come.[rowling]I already know what #100 is going to be, I just have to get that far. [/rowling]
-Paul

Anonymous said...

We sorta have 33 & 34 going on at out house also... although the cat seems to be coming around lately.... 36 is cool, me too...That's a yepper on Sean Connery being the best Bond & Firefox rocks! <LOL>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

here's my addition -

44) he's planning on being a cowboy poet when he grows up.
45) he secretly wears cowboy boots to bed.
46) his wife has in fact noticed this behavior,
47) but feels its an improvement over the cape and zorro outfit.

Anonymous said...

Interesting characteristics.  GL with the curling thing...

Anonymous said...

Good way to learn things about your fellow J-landers!  Have to see how many others try to do the same.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

I don't think I know a hundred things about myself.....Jon

Anonymous said...

Wow Paul, I haven't even got 30 yet!  LOL!!

Anonymous said...

It would be very hard for me to think of 100 things about myself without repeating some of them just in different wording.  Maybe I could squeeze out 40.
~ Promise

Anonymous said...

Wow Paul!!! Great start! My faves were 13, 14 and 15, and laughed out loud at 20.
As for 26, I wholly agree. We had an 80 gallon showtank and spent as much time on plants as fish. In addition, we would collect lava rock from the desert to include. We all watched the tank far more than tv....Penny

Anonymous said...

You know now that you mention it...when I viewed some of John Lennon's art I felt that I had seen it somewhere before....you are right...definite look of Piccasso.....great list.....Sandi

Anonymous said...

I assume that April 31st is part of the humor nobody gets?  Mrs. L

Anonymous said...

#73...Really, really rare!! I want it seared, turned, seared, then brought, preferably, still screaming to my plate. P.S. This has nothing to do with anything, but I LOVE that Brits and Canadians call it University instead of college... sounds so much more academic... Penny

Anonymous said...

#79 LMAO, Please, I wanna know!
#72 Oh yes!!!!!
#94 Of what?

Great list Paul. Took you long enough!

Anonymous said...

How funny Paul!
I mean, I never realized how many things I have in common with you :)
Great list! I love it!
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

*Tunes 6 string*

Desperado....why don't you come to your senses?
You been out riding fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasing you
Can hurt you somehow

<3 Rachel

Anonymous said...

I came to try and figure out who whole movie bit but alas it is over my poor little head so I read these instead and am I amazed at some of our similarities, i.e.  #1,2 and 3. #30 NO ONE does they just think they do. #39 Oh I totally agree with this, love him.  #45 who doesn't? It reads like a bad inbreeding list. Finally 71-73 - I couldn't be more of a carnivore if I tried and I like to hear them scream when I cut through it, grosses the husband out but we don't care, lol.  Imagine that you have much in common with a windbag, lol.  Brandy

Anonymous said...

Great list.  I started one awhile ago, but it started to get negative.  Don't want to do that.  So I'll wait until I feel in a better mood.
I alphabetise my CD's and DVD's.. people think I'm strange, Now I know I'm not the ONLY one :)
~ Promise
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/PromiseMe/
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/TheJournalJar/

Anonymous said...

This was fun...difficult but fun!
http://journals.aol.com/erinnae1977/SporadicEndeavors/entries/527

Anonymous said...

Okay...now i have to start one...thanx

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a mouthful!
hugs, natalie

Anonymous said...

okay...now I have to be really original and do this also....I had five aquariums, now I am down to 0.  I miss that.  
Dwana

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've never done this before.
Never thought I would actually ever do, but I guess there is always a first time.
Paul, you missed a whole bunch of great things about yourself! This list is far, far too short.
Here's a few:
You're a great cook
You're an honest man
You're a good man
You're a really good man (otherwise I still wouldn't be here!)
You're a great father
You're my best friend (there's gotta be something good about that!)
You are an outgoing, personable guy who likes to talk to people
You are intuitively smart about business
You are even more intuitively smart about people

I wish I could keep going, but I have to go back to work.

Oh, and you have a great sense of humour!

Love ya!
P

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just recently stumbled across your journal and read this.  So I did mine today.  You can read it at my journal (didn't want to leave a 100 line list here, lol)

http://journals.aol.com/jillannemarie/HousewifeLife/entries/742

Anonymous said...

Okay, first off everyone looks stupid in sweat pants. :-P

Secondly, 110 different beers, eight place . . . just wait for my 21st birthday, I will beat the snot outta your record. Wait, can I participate since I am not a man . . . hahaha.

Take Care!

Amanda :-) over at
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

Anonymous said...

I never read this before... so I did now!  

I love the Highlander too....

I agree about Sean Connery and Roger Moore.

I do find it odd that although you played hockey you didn't play in a league.

Curling is way cool.  I wish there were leagues in NJ.  

Did you know that Queen did the soundtrack to Highlander?

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I'm late getting around to reading this, Paul, but I love your sense of humor and I mostly enjoyed the 100th thing as I am a STNG fan myself. When do we hear about our flat friend's adventures? bea

Anonymous said...

Ooo I like this idea. I'm going to try to do this in my spare time & post it to mine! Great idea! Now I wonder what 100 things others would list about you??? :-)

Anonymous said...

Your list made me laugh out loud at times....think I'll do one, too.  
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Curious, did you actually drink 110 different types of beers.  I am surprised that there are that many different kinds out there.

I'm glad I read your 100 things.

http://amithinkingthat.blogspot.com

Sometimes:
http://journals.aol.com/cinisoul/amithinkingthat/

Charles

Anonymous said...

I am determined to do this - it's awesome and I'm just immodest enough to do it!  Or - well - maybe 20!   Or ten... or...

:)

Anonymous said...

I like your list so much it has inspired me to do my own list.  Go slow was a good bit of advice, thanks Lissa, whose list I loved as well!
:)Heidi

Anonymous said...

I'm late in reading your list, but when I saw you had one I hate to bite.  Great idea!  I think you have an awesome sense of humor!  My mind is already sifting through tidbits about myself!  Not only does it give other's an insight on your uniqueness, but it can enlighten you as well.  Hmmm, 100 things...I'm sure I could come up with that!  Thanks for the inspiration!!