Sunday, February 27, 2005

We all make mistakes

  Blogarama, The Blog Directory, offers this list of the Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Blogging. I'm sure The Blogfather has mentioned all of these at some time or another, but here they are, all gathered together in one place, so we can ignore them as a group, instead of one at a time. 
  You don't need to go very far down the list, in fact you won't get past the first item, before you find the one I'm most guilty of: having no theme to your blog. I don't believe I have a theme to my blog. Do you guys think I have a theme to my blog? If someone out there feels that they can pin point a theme to my blog, please let me know.
  Although...check out number four on the list: don't stray too far from your blog's theme. If you do manage to come up with a theme for my blog, I'm going to have to start worrying about that one. And number eight: Using too much insider or regional talk; I may be somewhat guilty of that one, eh?
  A few of those rules, however, seem to me to fall into the category of DUH! I mean, posting libelous material on your blog, doesn't that kind of go without saying? And unexplained time gaps in your blog? I have recently removed several blogs from my bloglines subscription because they haven't been updated in months. If their writers return, they will find their readership dramatically compromised, much like the inevitible consequences of the NHL lock-out. People will just find something else to watch, or in our case, read.
  Of course, trying to avoid those unexplained time gaps commonly results in pointless posts, like this one. Don't you think that should be somewhere on the list?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theme: satire.
Glad to be of service.
Karen

Anonymous said...

That was pretty close Karen.

But I think it might be more appropriately spelled 'satyr'.  At least in Paul's case.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

"Themes" to me, are a little like consistency in art......the last resort of the unimaginative.

Anonymous said...

Good entry! I think u have a theme....i cant quite put it into words,but i know when i come here,your words of wisdom are constant and pleasant! That isnt a theme,but a compliment...l  lol anyhow have a greta day!D

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting list and I had no idea that there was a LIST that we should all be following.  What's scary to me is #10.  

Regarding your theme:  Paul, I don't think you have one either.  You're a hodge podge lodge.  Is that a theme?  

Anonymous said...

Well, mine has a theme, but I sure do wander...

Anonymous said...

hmmmm..... I don't think of you as a "theme" guy.... I like your perspective and your way of dealing with riff raff. Maybe you could take to just noting what color your boxers are to develop a desired theme, but their suggestion won't work if you are a "white boxers only" kind of guy.
:):) judi

Anonymous said...

Phhhht! Theme?? We don't need no stinkin' themes <LOL> Hey, if anyone figures out your theme, send them over to my Journal and see if they can make sense of that mess <eg>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Themes are boring. Stay the way you are.