Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Damn you, spyware!

  I have spent the better part of today, and will probably spend a good part of tomorrow, reloading software onto my fresh, clean hard drive. Somewhere, I picked up some seriously tenacious spyware/adware. It wormed its way into my start-up files, so no matter how many times I ran Ad-aware, or Spybot Search & Destroy, it simply re-installed itself every time I restarted my computer. I was running Ad-aware  two or three times per day, and finding 20 odd 'critical' items each time.
  It completely hijacked IE. Every time I opened Internet Explorer, it changed my home page to some search page, and bombarded me with ads. It even went so far as to remove any trace of IE from Windows' add/remove programs screen. I couldn't even un-install it. After spending days trying to track down and quarrantine whatever the heck it was, I gave up and nuked the whole thing. I now have a new clean hard drive partition, and several more hours of work ahead of me.

  Also, I added more things to the 100 things about me entry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that thing must be catchy - i'm having the same troubles...dangit.

looks like I must do the same...

Anonymous said...

same thing happened to me.  I was off line for quite awhile because my husband misplaced our restore disc.  He bought me a new computer and at some point I will take take the time to clear the hard drive and restore the old computer to it's original state.  
Cindy

Anonymous said...

We had to do this, too.  And it costs us $120...so I am happy you did it yourself!